"Lure of the Tupehocken"...A PBX Hike

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Back on April 14 all members of PBX were notified that our final big hike of the season would be called "Lure of the Tupehocken" and it would occur yesterday. Here is an edited version of Bob's announcement.

Hey Boys, it'll be good to get out there again! I have planned a big trip for Saturday, 31 May. There is something about the Tulpehocken that draws us back, so we’re going back! Actually, we’ll be in areas that not all of us have seen. During our Seven Scenic Savannas trip we had to skip a long savanna, and I really want to see it. Plus, we will be going into more orchid territory, looking for rare Orchids. These delicate little flowers are a real treat to see.

We’ll have to cross the river at some point, so this ought to be interesting. We want to get to the north side of the river as I’ve always want to linger on that side near that big pond to see what’s growing. However, because there is interesting habitat on the south side, we’ll wait till we get to that point to cross the river.

Happy trails to you!

We all met on the road to Wading Pines, then dropped vehicles off at Hawkins Bridge, and then headed to our starting point near Carranza Memorial. Participating members were, bobpbx, lost town hunter, rednekf350, Hewey, pinelandpaddler, myself, Jessica, Scott's bride Dottie, Scott's dog Murph, and special guest, MarkBNJ.

A huge savanah at the beginning of our hike.

IMG_5016.JPG

Iris Prismatica

IMG_5022.JPG

Dottie on the same path we traveled on a previous hike years ago. You may remember my photo's of Jessica on the verge of heat stoke.

IMG_5028.JPG

Duck hunters feel comfortable enough to leave their boat as the area is traveled so infrequently.

IMG_5030.JPG

Destined to become bog iron.

IMG_5035.JPG

This was an interesting spot. One member noticed the dam where the water was crossing had been man made. After everyone had headed on I did a little searching and noticed the complete dam is man made. Someone went to quite a bit of trouble years ago to make this.

IMG_5037.JPG

IMG_5038.JPG

Following the pack up ahead.

IMG_5039.JPG

And it would not be a PBX hike if Jessica didn't fall in. This was seconds after I helped her up.

IMG_5040.JPG

IMG_5042.JPG

IMG_5044.JPG

IMG_5046.JPG

And after a long day of hiking we showered up at Wading Pines and in a remote spot there we had our final party of the season.

Peanut oil for the deep fried wild turkey.

IMG_5052.JPG

Chris cooking up Bambi.

IMG_5053.JPG

Jessica took a few photo's this time and I will post them soon. Also, exclusive video's of Mark and Gabe entertaining us at the party with their musical skills.

Guy

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
It was quite an adventure! Thanks for inviting me. With regards to pushing through swamps, as I remarked to Gabe I felt a little like Ludlum who, when asked if he enjoyed writing replied, "I enjoy having written." I felt like I was offered a peek into the secret heart of the pines, but you definitely have to work for it. You PBX folks are hard core. #respect.

As for the entertainment, my brain and fingers were both mush by the end of the day, so if you find botched chords and forgotten lyrics entertaining the video should be awesome! :) Anyway, who needs the right chords when you have home made wine, cold beer, grilled venison, and deep-fried wild turkey? It took a few cups of coffee to get me back up the Turnpike last night. When I finally made it home around 12:30 I dropped into bed and slept nine hours.

Thanks again for a great day.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
As much as I wanted to go I think I made the right call staying home.Last night I went on a frog quest with Bill just down the road from my house.I walked a half mile each way to the pond on a sand road then maybe 200 yards through sucking ooze and today I could hardly walk when i got up.The sucking action and twisting of my heel in the mud really fires it up.Did anyone notice the circular raised berm at North shore where my old camp used to be?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Please let me in on the punch lines! A real funny one is the night by eight year old brother (at the time) snuggled up to my back in the tent and pissed all down my back.he is still quite proud of this.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I once took a person out to that camp and stood in the clearing i camped in.They asked how I knew this was the right spot since their was no visible evidence that anyone had ever camped there.I knelt down at their feet and started digging in the sand and started pulling up copious amounts of charcoal.They asked if that was my old fire.I said yes,now I already have a bed of coals I just need to reheat it.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
You could not ask for better weather. Thanks to all who helped, and thanks for the food everyone!

This river is really difficult to pin down. Many, many tributaries enter the river, and even when you have an aerial photo right in front of you, you question your location and whether or not it's the main branch. But all in all, that is the fun of exploring. Jess, you are a real explorer. I admire you for your positive attitude after all that happened to you on this one, and did I hear it right, that you gave it a 10??!! Or was it a 9 and Scott was a 10? I forget, but you did rate it high. And Dottie, you really impressed me, no slacking for you, always up near the front.

Al, we really missed you. We know how much you love this river's wildness. It gets in your blood. When we crossed to the north shore, I said something about us telling you that we found your camp and that it was the Boss! We knew we could not find it, as we don't know the area as well as you. Someday you'll have to show it to me. I certainly don't mind going back again, and again, and again.

Mark, if you missed a chord, I did not notice it at all. It was all in good fun. I learned that song by heart (Johnny Horton) (?) when I was about 11 or so.

The wonder of seeing such a nice savanna stays with you for a long while. Even Ted was loving it, as he had not been here before.
Sav (Small).PNG

The Dean of all things Pine Barren related. A true gentleman.
Ted (Small).PNG

Our Pine Barren flora is often psychidelicized.
PSY3 (Small).PNG

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
A better day could not have been had. The weather, the camaraderie and exquisitely cooked animals were stellar.
My wife decided to go at the zero hour and she was glad she did.
We brought the Murph along too and he hasn't stopped talking about the hike yet !

Thank you Bob for all of the effort in putting this together.

A few pics.

Our Commander In Chief:

Knowledge walking.

Lunch time for Murph. Kibbles in a cup.

All things pines.

Chris confirming that we had indeed found water.

The women folk.

Guy and his daughter Jess.

Murph displaying his mean high water line.

The happy couple. 31st wedding anniversary last week. Together 37 years.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Our track for the day along with waypoints. The far right straight line is traveling in the vehicles to the drop off point. It was 6 miles to the drop off point from the end point. It seemed like 12.

Track.PNG

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
By the way, we missed the spot I really wanted to see at the end. I should have followed my instincts. When we got to "exploring country," we were all tired, but I said okay, let's hit one more waypoint (Peerless point). As we started in that direction we ran into one of those infamous pitch pine lowlands (you know, when the thin cedars are so tight even your dog can't get through them), so I turned towards the nearest road. But on the way to that road, I kept seeing daylight on my right. I almost left the group to see how big of a bog meadow it was, but I could see that everyone was beat, and kept slogging towards the road. You can see the meadow just to the southeast of the line. I'm going to see if I can hit it in the middle of this month for a couple hours. Its not far in off the road.

Al, you can also see why we missed your camp. We did not cross there.

lowertrack (Small).PNG

Reactions: MarkBNJ

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Where you turned south just before you got to north shore I know it is very soft in there and the little side stream it looks like you tried to cross is rough but if you had got across there is an old beaver dam that is in ruins but their is still enough left to solid up the crossing of the main creek.you actually crossed where Whip and I originally crossed to find the island back in the 80's.There was no internet or aerials then but i had a topo and the island contour shows on the contour.There is a very old cycle trail north of the island that will take you out if you feel it with your feet.You actually crossed it on your way out to hawkins Friendship road.The bog you missed to your southeast is quite a beauty.If you have never been there Bob we'll have to make a trip.You could no doubt spend all day there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My tracks did not work for some reason. I have an empty file in my GPS. That is the first time that happened.