MacOS / iOS security flaw

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Update your devices guys, this nasty bug could put you at risk.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/02/22/os-x-ssl-vulnerability/

an attacker could intercept communications from an iPhone that was meant to be encrypted. Let’s say the attacker had access to the same network over an unsecured WiFi connection in a coffee shop or restaurant. He could impersonate a protected site such as Facebook or Gmail and alter any data passed between the iPhone and the site. The worse news for Apple is the its desktop operating system, OS X, is perhaps even more exposed to attack.

As per this article, you can see if you are vulnerable by going here: https://gotofail.com

Glad that I haven't updated my Mac to Mavericks (MacOSX 10.9). Older versions are not vulnerable. :) iOS 6 and 7 have the bug though, so I am updating my iPhone.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I told my girls yesterday to update but they as of yet have not. Jennifer is especially vulnerable because of the iPhone.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am running 10.9.1 on my Mac and there is no update available for me. So it must not effect everyone with 10.9.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I see now the 10.9.2 update is not available yet.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I also see the bug is in the 10.9.2 beta version in testing. So it may be a while before that comes out.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
They have a fix for iOS. Nothing for MacOS yet. But so far they are saying that exploits based on this haven't appeared in the wild yet. The best thing to do (which you should do all the time anyway) is to not join unencrypted wireless networks, which is where you'd be most at risk.