MakePeace, A PBX Hike

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Who is this and what the hell brought this up?I see your on four threads????

They were posting this morning when I was just about to go to work. I was one post behind them deleting away. It was a race that I thought I had won but aparently a few got through...maybe after I had to shut down. I was deleting them two at a time at one point. I always like them to happen when I have more time. It is always fun!

Guy

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Pretty sure I fished the pond there years ago. Caught a nice trout and cooked it that night, fine dining. Didn't get in like you guys, loved the pictures.
Greg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
They were posting this morning when I was just about to go to work. I was one post behind them deleting away. It was a race that I thought I had won but aparently a few got through...maybe after I had to shut down. I was deleting them two at a time at one point. I always like them to happen when I have more time. It is always fun!

Guy
They must have loads of time to waste it posting this crap on a forum totally unrelated to what they are selling.This is cyberliciting,it should be illegal.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Al, you have no idea how much of this kind of spam gets posted to forums. Some of it is completely automated, some from real people - possibly in countries where the few pennies they might make are more significant than they would be to you or me.

Really, it's not about selling stuff to people on this forum. It's about getting links to whatever they're selling spread all over the internet. This makes their websites rise higher in google search results. Often the posts appear innocuous with no links, however they have invisibly embedded links to their sites in the message. Again, this isn't for the benefit of forum members but it is harvested by google "search bots" or "web crawlers" - automated programs that index information on the internet for use by their search engine.

As a moderator at GPSReview, I am constantly deleting this kind of stuff and banning the posters. That's a large, popular forum and there are two other mods plus the site admin. Between the 4 of us, I'll bet we delete more than 50 spam posts a day.

Take a moment and thank Guy and Ben because I'm sure they are busy behind the scenes doing the same thing. There's probably a lot more spam that you never even see because of their efforts.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It was more prevalent in the past before Ben started the email notification to post. Maybe that is part of the software??

Guy

Jburd
A machete in country like this will just get you hurt.Every time you pull back to take a swing you will yank more briars down on your head,if it's not razor sharp you will just yank the briars around maiming yourself.Machetes are good for reeds and bamboo but briars are really tough and I usually don't carry them unless I know in advance I will need them but a nice pear of hand sized pruning or even tin shears are great for cutting your way through bad spots or cutting yourself out once your trapped.Gloves can be helpful but they interfere with my gps which i usually am using so i just watch where I grab the briars to push them off and usually only get a stab occasionally.I have actually rolled across mats of briars in winter wrapped in military bdu's and field jacket.This would rip wool or cotton up but denim or like material will let you roll without snagging too bad.Don't try this with rose bushes,they are shaped different anyway and don't make mats but the briars are hooled on the end and you can't push them off like you can greenbriar.When snagged by rose bushes i usually just have to get mad and thrash my way out.I come out bloody but sometimes it's the only way to get away from them.Another hint,look for deer trails,sometimes you can crawl down tunnels through the bad stuff,it's really bad when briar mixes with blueberry bushes,you will try to crawl under the blueberry and the briar will be snagging and cutting you up while your pinned on your belly,if you can't find a deer trail through this stuff your in for a world of hurt:)
Al
Al,
I've been reading some of the older threads and came upon this bit. I was hiking out at Peaslee this past Saturday, parked out by Maries Rd. and headed west following a trail and then some newly dug fire lines. I then cut across to get to the Manumuskin and encountered the thickest vines and briars I've ever been in. I finally crossed the ol 'muskin and headed north towards Bennett's Mill and then went west down a pretty open trail towards Bear Pond that ended on Bennett's Mill Rd. (Anyone know the original purpose of this trail?) I made my return trip but was not happy to have to go through those briars again. The mountain laurels gave me some respite as I could get on my knees and try to find some deer trails. I eventually found my way out but not before donating lots of blood and sweat trying to navigate through the mucky muck. I'd say you're absolutely right in using some heavy duty pruning shears and leather gloves. I had a hatchet that worked occasionally but I rued my decision to leave the shears in my truck. Being from Vineland, its always nice to get out to the far eastern stretches of its boundaries and get lost. I've done a lot of exploring in the Pines and these parts were some of the densest I've ever been in.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.41330316551548&lng=-74.9088419226074&z=15&type=topo&gpx=

is this the road you walked out to Bennets Mill Road on? AS you can see on topo there used to be a house along the Muskin and the road was no doubt there for that purpose,perhaps before the house.There is still a concrete pad there and I used to drive back there all the time.I think the road may be permanently gated now. Those are some real nice woods in there.On the east side of the muskin across from this house is some of the wildest barrens anywhere.very thick scrub oak with small clearings here and there and yes further south toward Cedar Creek and maries road are some really bad barrens.Once near Cedar Creek and marie road crossing I got jumped by a nest of yellowjackets that was under the sphagnum and got tore up.I fell trying to run and they had a party on my back. Also you crossed not far from a very large stone.Of course if you had popped out there you would have crawled right through a very large Allegheny Ant mound. a couple of big hills right along Hesstown road now.

That's exactly where I walked out onto Bennetts Mill Rd! Now that I think of it, the trail does start at an open area where I noticed what looked like a brick well. I had no clue there was a stone out that way, would have been great if I stumbled upon it in my amblings. Think I'm gonna spend some more time out that way and see if I can use one of the old maps Spung-Man posted a while back of the area. Thanks for the info!

Dan

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I just checked historical aerials and the house was visible in 63.the yard was cleared by 51.there was a path there prior to the house in 40 but it looks to be a foot trail.in 51 it was broadened into a road.So the road is not there because of the house but likely the other way around.The last time those woods were cut was in 80.I was out there with my dad and he was cutting and I was loading.We had a wood stove back then.This was just before the state bought it I think.The owners sold the wood before selling to the state.I was 16 then.