Man Goes Missing During Hunting Trip

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Debbie,

I sent you a private message. Click on the "Inbox" link at the top right of the page.

Guy

SpineyPiney

Scout
Jan 15, 2013
As someone who spends a lot of time in the pines alone my heart goes out to this family. I can't imagine what they are going through.
Does anyone have any new information on this situation? I can't believe the Ocean County sheriff's dept wouldn't volunteer the use of their dogs, or that the state police wouldn't request them to come in. If they can spend the money to use K9s to track lowlife criminals why not an innocent elderly missing person?

Reactions: Advocate

Debbie Zeldin

Oct 19, 2013
I am his daughter in law and was in those pine barrens searching for him, along with many volunteers who don't even know him. I personally contacted the Ocean County Sheriff's office and was told as much as they want to help, the request had to come from a police agency. The NJSP are only searching on Sundays and aren't allowing any other search and rescue groups and/or K-9's other than the one group they work with, MARSAR. Anyone have any advise on how to go above them to get the ok for more help?

SpineyPiney

Scout
Jan 15, 2013
Maybe try calling some local news channels and newspapers. Jeff Cole from Fox29 seems to get good results when it comes to government agencies. Channel 6 has a "call for action" hotline 1-866-978-4232. It's amazing to see how many people change their tune when the local news puts a camera in their face and points out how ridiculous some of their policies are.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The NJSP can't be there all the time so you just need to do it when they are not there. I have been there recently and did some searching on my own and I am keeping a record of my tracks. I may have an hour or so again during the week and will be going back throughout the winter if need be.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The NJSP are only searching on Sundays and aren't allowing any other search and rescue groups and/or K-9's other than the one group they work with, MARSAR. Anyone have any advise on how to go above them to get the ok for more help?

If the SP has a good canine search group working with them, and MARSAR is an excellent one, I would respect what they ask. To bring in more people and dogs could only complicate the current searchers work by leaving even more strange scents for the dogs to work over. Folks think they may be helping, but unless there is some coordination, it probably poses more of a hindrance than help. I am sure it is hard to just sit around. There will be many folks in the fields soon as hunting seasons open and is probably the reason the SP is searching only on Sundays, less strange scent. Best wishes and hopefully he is soon found.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The MARSAR man Jeff and I dealt with was really nice.

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
I can't believe he hasn't been located yet. I do a lot of trail running in the woods and can probably cover a decent sized area quickly so I will head over and add to the efforts.

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
Okay Bob. I will make grids and place them on a GPX file and email them to you. You can decide if you want to use them or not. Again, I am not sure the exact location on the road it is so I will make them all around the area.

Guy

Guy if you have any grids or more accurate data I can plug in my GPS app please send if you can. It's likely that me and Lloyd will do a run through the area on Sunday AM and I'd like to be as useful as possible, and avoid any areas that have been searched very thoroughly, or at least be in the ball park area... We can probably do 8 miles running so could cover a decent area relatively quickly.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You really can't run through the area, it is really dense woods. The roads and paths have all been searched.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was out there this morning at sunrise. They have drained most of the water out of the puddles and semi graded the road. I spent almost 1.5 hour roaming through the woods trying to see how far they had searched so I would know what area's it appeared they had not. I have to say the coverage was quite extensive and it appears they did a nice job at least in that area. They marked off the trees with streamers which extended all the back to the cedar swamps on the western side of the far NW corner. I am not sure if they went into the swamps so I searched in there somewhat until I had to head back. The dew this morning was intense and it was humid causing my glassed to steam up often. I had problems finding a dry piece of clothing on me to clear them off. By the time I got back to my car I was soaked. I relied completely on my GPS to get me in and out because of my glasses steaming up.

Then I went to Bamber looking for a property corner which is a pipe. It was the most intense briers I have had to search in. I fell quite a few times and had problems getting up, and had to use my walking stick to accomplish that. There was no place to put my hands to push up with. I was exhausted when I returned to my car.

IMG_3792a.jpg

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I've been in your shoes Guy. Fallen down in a big briar patch with nothing solid to push off of,nothing to grab,no one to help wondering how the hell am I going to get out of this and why the hell am I in it in the first place:)

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Just wanted to let everyone that there is a small group meeting at Lucille's at 10am on Thursday going out to search some more. If anyone wants to go out with us and coordinate another effort to search, either show up at Lucille's or call me at 609-742-0105.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They circle all over the area all the time. A few weeks back they were circling over FAA Tower Road and many people were on it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There is a new article in the Burlington County Times on this subject. The problem is you need to have a subscription to view it.

The first portion.

Wife of missing hunter 'less hopeful'

Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 4:00 pm | Updated: 5:19 pm, Mon Nov 25, 2013.
By Lisa Irizarry Staff Writer​
As the New Jersey State Police and other teams prepared for another weekend of searching the dense underbrush of Bass River State Forest for missing hunter Barnett Zeldin, his wife says she is preparing herself for the first Thanksgiving without him since they got married 50 years ago.
Janet Zeldin has not seen her husband, 74, since Oct. 7, when the Mays Landing resident set off for a trip to bait his tree stand for a planned deer hunt. There’s been no trace of him since.