Man Goes Missing During Hunting Trip

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
It was really deep but on a cut survey line. It could have been worn by those cutting the trees.

Was it truly a survey line Guy or perhaps a gun club cut line ?
Most clubs maintain lines through the woods for breaking the large tracts into smaller drives. Most of the locations are handed down from generation to generation and their beginning points are hard to pick out from the main roads. I hunted with a club in the 80's who had miles of lines cut and no one would ever know where they started. Once you were on one, Ray Charles could follow it.
The missing guy was a club hunter according to the original accounts.

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Redneck good observation. However the club in which Barry hunted with barely drives any longer. They do small pieces in vicinity of their clubhouse. Guy is correct that is a survey line or boundary.

Guy I would still report this to the proper authorities as he may have been wearing them. Even if it was warmer I know I am not wearing shorts to bait my stand due to chiggers. It's a long shot but anything is possible.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It just seems to me we did report it to the proper authorities. These were the people looking for him and they did not seem to think it was anything worth while.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
It just seems to me we did report it to the proper authorities. These were the people looking for him and they did not seem to think it was anything worth while.

Guy, I'll report it. I want everyone to feel that we at least said something to the right people. The Burlington County person we spoke to out there had quite an ego, it seemed to be blinding his thinking.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
......Ain't much that can beat a well trained dog nose.

I have been volunteering for a few years with NJFW for the youth pheasant hunts helping plant birds and mentoring the young hunters. It's funny to watch some of the parents doubt the dogs nose. We had one bird drop like a sack of potatoes and within seconds, the dog was on the spot but came up empty. The bird apparently got legs and then maybe wings and left the county. The dog briefly followed a trail leading away from the drop spot and then lost the scent. We had a very hard time convincing the young shooter and the parent that the bird wasn't there. We even brought over another dog to help prove that.
The father still went back after the hunt and paced back and forth through the brush for another twenty minutes, finally giving up.
The dog's nose knows.

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have been volunteering for a few years with NJFW for the youth pheasant hunts helping plant birds and mentoring the young hunters. It's funny to watch some of the parents doubt the dogs nose. We had one bird drop like a sack of potatoes and within seconds, the dog was on the spot but came up empty. The bird apparently got legs and then maybe wings and left the county. The dog briefly followed a trail leading away from the drop spot and then lost the scent. We had a very hard time convincing the young shooter and the parent that the bird wasn't there. We even brought over another dog to help prove that.
The father still went back after the hunt and paced back and forth through the brush for another twenty minutes, finally giving up.
The dog's nose knows.
Yeah usually when the dog makes a mistake it's because it's young and inexperienced,not because it's nose isn't top notch.Sometimes I think I"d like a nose like a dogs but someone would kill me first time I ran over and sniffed their butt.Think I"ll just keep my third rate sniffer:)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
When I used to hunt with my Brits, it was all about the dogs working. Taking a bird was the climax to the good part. Learned early on to always follow the dogs. ;)

88988289.jpg

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
For Brit's, at least ours, it's the scent in the air, rarely do they go to the ground. Cody, the one in the picture, would stand in the field, nose up, smellin' the wind. If I tried to get him to go another direction, he'd give me the 'look' and totally ignore me and follow his nose. And I would follow along behind. :D Sure do miss that dog. The Golden we have now does the same thing, stands nose up, smellin' the wind. Once he gets rid of the phobia's from his old owner, I might try him in the field. There are some Golden's that point, maybe he's one of them :eek:

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Yeah usually when the dog makes a mistake it's because it's young and inexperienced,not because it's nose isn't top notch.Sometimes I think I"d like a nose like a dogs but someone would kill me first time I ran over and sniffed their butt.Think I"ll just keep my third rate sniffer:)

You would look really funny too.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I submitted the information to the State Police missing persons unit. They acknowledged receipt and forwarded the info to the Detective handling the case.
Good job Bob.
I have been surveyor and hunter for many years and I have never left my clothes in the woods for any reason.
I am hoping that your find helps the case in some way.

Sep 16, 2019
Brigantine
For those who are interested, we’re working with the Zeldin family, specifically Debbie and producing a podcast about Barry’s disappearance. The family, Barry’s hunt club members and friends all believe Barry was murdered. Barry’s grandson has stage 4 cancer and we’re working hard to try and re-open the investigation. Here is a link to the first episode, a second episode is also available. Please share the show and contact me if you have any info you’d like to share. Thank you! https://wicked-garden-podcast.simpl...isode-one-beyond-the-garden-gate-barry-zeldin