Manumuskin Nature Conservancy Property

jdragon130

Oct 7, 2008
Gloucester County
Greetings all,
I haven't posted here much, but there is something I was hoping to get some answers about. What is going on with the Manumuskin nature conservancy property down in Cumberland county? I have hiked back there 3 times this spring, and every time the place is a circus. There is a sand wash pond that people recreate at. When I say people I mean hoards and hoards of young kids (I've seen almost 50 people back there). The road is suppose to be blocked off, however it is very easy to drive around. Last week there were 12 vehicles back there, most of which did not need any 4wd to get back there. I noticed a ton of PA plates too, so kids are coming here instead of the shore. It would be bad enough for this many people to hike back there, but driving is just all the more terrible. There were fires, tents, kids pulling down trees with rope, smashing bottles, etc. There are sensitive species in the area on nature conservancy land, yet I would imagine this degree of recreation has or will extirpate anything within a certain radius of this pond. Did they just give up on this property? Not enough rangers? The road could be blocked very easily with a day's worth of work my municipality employees, or whomever. This has really bothered me, and I am hoping to get a better picture on what is going on. Thanks.

I have friends from Philly who called me last summer to tell me they were going to some "swimming hole" by me. Interested where Philly-types would swim around here, I went along. I was surprised when I realized they were parked out by Schooner Landing Road off of 55. I usually go in to the Manumuskin from the train tracks on the other side, so I wasn't prepared for the carnage I was about to witness. As was previously mentioned, there was an ocean of PA plates and party bros stomping through the pines with cases in tow, casually tossing garbage wherever they passed. A feeling of "locals-only" mentality passed over me and i was damn proud i had on a vineland tshirt. I visit the Manumuskin probably once a week and was shocked when these revelers were swimming, pretty far out mind you, in a sand pit. Being from around here we know not to do this, for various reasons already discussed. What upset me the most was the carelessness, absolute disregard and disrespect for the environment. To the partiers, these woods were simply a place to get wasted, hang out in the sun, and enjoy being outside. And to that, I can't really argue with their logic. But along with this came a sense of entitlement; because it was the woods, and south jersey, and not where they're from. And that I can't stand. We may enjoy an afternoon outside in the pines, but as stewards of the land, we understand we need to take care of it if we want to continue enjoying it. But when I came back about a week later, the trash had piled up and I began to find needles out by the beaches. As I was walking back, a couple state troopers stopped me and asked what I was doing back there. I explained and told them I was a local and they said they were gonna start shutting down any parties back there. A day later there was an article in the Daily Journal echoing these sentiments. I haven't been to that side since last summer, but I must say I am saddened that this is happening again. I'll volunteer my services.

jdragon130

Oct 7, 2008
Gloucester County
Sorry I forgot about this post until I witnessed it again. Hearing your experience as well is very disheartening. It happens every hot summer day. I have witnessed no attempt to stop people from driving back there. The same thing happened off of Jackson Rd. in Winslow, however they recently placed a barrier with a sign saying area closed to do excessive littering. Sometimes I wonder if they (police/rangers) just allow a certain spot for people to get this out of their system. They know kids will do this regardless, so is it easier to just allow them one place to get it out of their system? However, if that was the case this is not the spot to allow it. I know for a fact there are animals being negatively impacted by this. I hope they start taking it serious...

Reactions: glowordz

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
That place used to be a big party spot back in the late 80's early 90's then the Nature Conservancy bought it and Bill Smith a volunteer on the Pine snake project shut em down.He ran off all the dirt bikes and the partiers.I used to walk out there by myself and swim out to the little sand bar visible way out in the middle of the pond.It's about 18 inches deep in the middle.I have no problem with folks swimming or laying in the sand but it seems most aren't happy unless their drunk and throwing their bottles in the pond,in the woods,dirty diapers in the bushes.I sometimes walk in to the opposite corner from Barth Road and can see and even hear them a half mile away across the pond.I take Sophie swimming out there.Probably illegal as well.I wonder if I stick a big sign out at Schooner Landing road that says "Shooby Go Home" if they'll leave?need another Bill out there.