Map Nostalgia

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Maybe you also had a copy of the USGS 1984 Hammonton 1:100,000 scale map back in the days before GPS? I loved that map, it was my constant companion while exploring the Pines. It's looking pretty sad today...

boyds_copy.jpg

But here's a nice, clean digital copy, courtesy of the USGS Historic Topo Map Archives!

hammonton.jpg

Download it in at this link: [sorry, this map is no longer available - link removed]

Unzip the downloaded file and you'll have folder containing a .kmz file of the map for Google Earth, along with scans of the front cover, back cover and map legend. My usual disclaimers apply, since I don't use Google Earth. Let me know if it looks OK, and enjoy. :)

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
'Tis a fine line between lost and exploring .

Aye German, tis true. The only time I feel lost is when it's getting dark, I have no compass or GPS, and after at least two false starts I'm definitely unsure what direction I need to take to get back to the truck.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Same answer to both questions: it's what you wish you had when you're lost. ;)

Whats lost? :eek:

I've been lost twice that I know of, probably many more times. The 2 times I recall; once thanks to a hunting companion in Stokes SF in a snow storm, the second thanks to my dog in Greenwood. Fortunately my dog knew where she was going, I just followed along with my tail between my buttocks.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
If I"m in a totally unfamiliar area I"d rather have a map then a compass.I can generally find a way to tell directions even if it's cloudy by vegetation.If you don't know your country you quite probably will pick the worse direction you possibly could to travel in.I think it's in Murphy's Law.In the mountains this could be quite dangerous.Then again i very seldom if ever wander into new country without a map or at least a fuzzy map in my head which includes base lines if nothing else.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I've been lost once, deep in the woods of Colliers Mills. I forget what I was searching for, but I was trying to get back to my vehicle and somehow ended up in a cedar swamp. My GPS wasn't giving me good directions, it was freezing cold, getting dark, and I had to jump from hummock to hummock to move. I only had a vague "idea" of which direction I needed to go.

Thankfully I got out but it was pretty scary as visions of jumping, breaking my leg, and dying alone in a swamp danced through my head.

Thinking about it, I really ought to buy a compass.

Reactions: manumuskin