Marilyn Schmidt

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
Sad news, Marilyn Schmidt passed away last night. Author, publisher, lover of the Pinelands and owner of Buzby's general store and many more hats that she wore. She will be missed.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
That is sad. I met her once, shortly after she purchased Buzby's, I was showing a friend around the Pines for the first time and we had a nice chat. I still have a couple of her autographed books from that day.

Reactions: MikeBickerson

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
That is sad. I met her once, shortly after she purchased Buzby's, I was showing a friend around the Pines for the first time and we had a nice chat. I still have a couple of her autographed books from that day.

It was always a pleasure to chat with her; her later years were difficult, but she and her cat were always there. Wonder what will now become of the store; it is on the US National Historic register;

https://npgallery.nps.gov/NRHP/AssetDetail?assetID=cf420683-5f02-4457-8319-c5d9fa9ca09f

https://npgallery.nps.gov/NRHP/GetAsset/3c620d0f-aa63-40b3-8d4c-093ffa0dc52f/

Can't count the number of times I stopped in to "look around", aka, just stand around and talk with Marilyn awhile. She was always in the middle of some big project, but never too busy to share her love of the pine barrens with anyone who walked in.

She'll be missed.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Sad news. If she did nothing more than rescue Buzbys from oblivion she would have earned her place in Pine Barrens history but she did so much more. I'll always treasure our chats and the large part of my library that came from her shop.

T

Toothy Critter

she once asked me if I would like to purchase the store. I really wish I could have. Both for me and for her :(

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That most likely will be at the dinner I would assume.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Buy the place for a home, and people will be peeking in your windows to have a look at history. That's not for me.

But if you buy it and sling eggs and taters onto plates with slices of ham, you'll make out. But you'll still have to deal with the din in the dining area, even while trying to nap.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I wonder how much farther it will drop? In spite of all the romanticizing by people in that thread, there obviously just isn't any interest in that property.

That now depends on Marilyn's estate, if she has one. Folks think that there are restrictions on what an owner can do to a register listed home. Unless the state enacted restrictions, there are none from the feds. If she had no heirs, the legal waterfall will begin and may ultimately result in it going to auction for taxes.