Martha bridge is out

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
We were hiking the Batona Trail today and found this. I am not sure it has been posted before.

They made a real mess of the pines digging this sand pile
small_sand.jpg

A couple of rotten boards, I did not look at the bridge supports
Rotten_Board.jpg

Half finished barriers on both sides
Barrier.jpg

Obviously this is not a priority.

Ed

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ed,

I though your dog was a horse :)

That bridge is no stranger to being out. My future wife in about 1981.

marthabridge.JPG

Guy

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I saw that mess back in August while dropping off my son and his girlfriend for a short kayak trip downstream. I remember not being able to tell if it was damage to existing work or a work in progress that was never finished. In any case, with the state's dire financial circumstances right now, I think we will see much more of this kind of thing. Perhaps the time has come to have private organizations and groups of individuals make improvements happen, much in the way the Batona Trail was initially created. The environmentalist in me wants to see our public lands be a priority but the conservative in me thinks government can only do so much.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If one could easily get permission to fix things, I suspect there would be people willing to do it. But I bet the state does not want anyone fixing anything for fear of poor quality work and lawsuits.

Guy

RMICKLE

Scout
Oct 3, 2005
Carson City, NV
Martha’s Furnace Proposed Pedestrian Bridge

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/dpm..., Wharton State Park, Bass River Township.pdf

A. BACKGROUND
In 2008, an existing timber vehicular bridge carrying Martha’s Furnace Road over the Oswego River
was closed by Park personnel as a result of the poor condition of the structure. The existing structure
is approximately 90 feet in length.

The State Park Service, with the approval of the State Forest Fire Service, has decided to replace the
vehicular bridge with a structure designed for pedestrian and horse traffic. The existing undeveloped
roads on either side of the bridge may require repair to allow access to the bridge for construction. If
road repairs are necessary, they are to be included as part of this project.

I heard about this through other channels but since I found this on the internet I thought I would post it. I’ll sure miss the old bridge.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks. I would have to assume they are only doing it because of the Batona???

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
is the bridge out because it's in disrepair or is it because the road east of it is in disrepair?The orad east of the bridge has to be one of the nastiest roads in the barrens.I will not attempt it in the manumuskinmobile.i walked through there last week and had to skirt around one hole through the swamp because it looked as if it could swaller a manumuskin without so much as a belch.I know there was a varve monster in there for sure.
Al

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I heard about this through other channels but since I found this on the internet I thought I would post it. I’ll sure miss the old bridge.

If I read correctly, over a year to plan and build a small pedestrian bridge? I can just imagine what the cost will be. Give it to a volunteer group or a Scout troop, they'll get it done in a month.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
If I read correctly, over a year to plan and build a small pedestrian bridge? I can just imagine what the cost will be. Give it to a volunteer group or a Scout troop, they'll get it done in a month.

Wow, did you read that proposal? No wonder the state's broke, they're making a career out of that bridge.

They make a molehill into a mountain! We are such a litigant oriented state that we need a "scoping" before we can get a proposal or plan of action! (Kind of like a proctologist visit, ain't it?) To para-phrase Dorothy - "Doctors and Lawyers and Politicians, Oh My!" :words:

"Possum - the other, other white meat"