Martha Furnace; advice requested

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I'm movin' on up (another '70's reference?). I got me a CB & and antenna for ziltch!!! Small Uniden radio and 'new' Radio Shack antenna. I heard about 'tuning' a CB but WTH? I don't have a SWR and if I did do invite it to dinner? All I pick up is hick truck drivers from AL, FL, and GA! Has everyone gone GPS on my ass? The static now soothes my ride to and from work (no AM/FM radio). Someone help!

I don't know much about CB, but I do know that if you don't tune your antenna and your radio with the SWR meter, you run the risk of ruining the radio.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/100440/how_to_tune_a_cb_radio_with_an_swr.html

Also, "hick truck drivers" is just about all you'll get on CB. CB is a wasteland now, much like what internet chat is today. I don't know what you mean by "everyone gone GPS" on you, since GPS is for navigation, not communication. Perhaps you meant FRS (Family Radio Service) which are the handheld walkie-talkie things that a lot of people now have. If so than yes, most people are using that now.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I own 4 CB's and never use them anymore. Even peaked with (SSB) Single Side Band they are limited in range especially with the "skip" that occurs in the 26 and 27MH range. If you have a 40 Channel CB that you don't mind playing with, get a wire and cross various terminals on the chip (PPL) and you may be able to go above and below the normal 40. My President Grant went way down in the 25MH range and well above the 27MH range. Nice and quiet but illegal. Even my Midland was expandable.

I found this telling how to do it on a Grant. Give you an idea how to on yours.

http://members.aol.com/cbmods/grant.htm

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I have a CB in one of my trucks and it is pretty useful in certain cirumstances, like when travelling major highways.
You can usually get a tip on a traffic problem before you run up on it, find out where the POlice are sittin' or get directions.
In the woods, a lot of the organized 4WD clubs use them to communicate on runs. They are easier to use on the fly than a phone and you get group communication that you can't get out of a cell phone. Transmission quality is good too because everyone is travelling close together.
Mine has NOAA channels that I use all the time to check local and marine forecasts.
I guess I am just a hick truck driver.
:)

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
I had a CB in my car that was great for long highway drives. If you got in with the right group of truckers, you could make great time AND have fun just shooting the breeze and dodging cops.
I was a hick "four wheeler".:siren: