Martha & Harrisville

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Take notice in this map there was a school half way between Harrisville and Martha right along the road between both places. There also was a Bench Mark Oak near Harrisville. This was used for reference in surveying.

Harris_Martha.jpg

And it appears the two names at Martha are French and Allen or Allin. Just align the map in your head by sliding the word "Martha" in place and do the same with the rest of the map.

Martha.jpg

These are from a Geological Survey map from 1849.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes, I did not mention it because I figured everyone would see that and there was no explanation needed.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I believe I may have read that before, but it was interesting anyway to read it again. It is funny that even today we still go to many of the same places. I bet Allen's Bridge was busier back then though. Not Watering Place Hole though.

Reactions: manumuskin

flash

Scout
Jul 25, 2009
I remember searching for the machine shop years ago along with wolfspider. I also have noticed that the foundation furthest north at harrisville along the lake has been labeled school on some maps and church on other maps.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
These 1899 botanists traveled from Tuckerton to the plains and crossed Allen's bridge, then headed through Martha, Batsto, and thence to Quaker Bridge and Atsion.

An interesting read indeed! I wish the botanists had made their trip earlier. Maybe they would have seen the twayblade by the mansion foundation that I have read about in later reports.