Mary Lee is visiting

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
just off Island Beach State Park. Picture from when she was tagged.

16 feet, 3500 lbs :eek:

http://www.ocearch.org/tracker/

phpThumb.php

upload_2015-5-9_17-56-44.png

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I have had an interest and curiosity about that event for many many years now. I remember my dad telling me about it when I was young. I grew up not too far away from Matawan. When that book came out I met the author and he signed the book for me and we discussed it a bit. The book was very good. Another book, "12 days of Terror" that came out about the same time is a bit more analytical and investigative. If you liked close to shore you should read 12 days of terror for a slightly different perspective. All in all it was just a million in one event...a perfect storm that we will probably never quite understand.

Anyway, thanks for posting this 46er...I'll be cancelling my ocean kayaking plans this weekend.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I also read that book years ago. I might have to look for it and read it over again.
The one ping in the Barnegat Bay is located in Double Creek Channel. In the late 70's and early 80's I spent a lot of time in that area with my family. Even claming along the sides of it. It's crazy to think a shark of that size could be cruising through it.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I also read that book years ago. I might have to look for it and read it over again.
The one ping in the Barnegat Bay is located in Double Creek Channel. In the late 70's and early 80's I spent a lot of time in that area with my family. Even claming along the sides of it. It's crazy to think a shark of that size could be cruising through it.

With all the whales, blues and stripers feeding on the massive bunker schools, she probably heard the dinner bell ringing and went looking for a whale dinner :D

Dental impressions from a carcass that washed up a few years back;

102419435.jpg