Maurice River historical

B

BarryC

Oh yes. Isn't that what you showed me briefly the day we were all out in the rain. :wink: Yes, it's a bit fuzzy, but I think I can read the whole thing. I'll study it. It looks very interesting.
Thanks for posting it.
Barry

aserdaten

Scout
Jul 26, 2003
Ormond Beach, Florida
Nice historical map of Maurice River Township ... but isn't there any way the original could have been flattened out more so that it would have made a somewhat more legible copy? I'm not sure whether the posted link resulted from a digital picture of the map or a Xerox-type copy of the original. Excellent content of the map, however, but with my eyesight it was just a bit hard to read.

Map collecting has always been one of my hobby interests, and I manage to acquire as many as possible on trips, etc. (especially free ones like from AAA). Also, find that many recent street maps are "revised" every year or two by simply changing the date on the map - and nothing else that I can find has changed. Very annoying. The only thing worse is a map with no date on it at all (or at least none that I can find), such as Universal maps.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I have only been to Mauricetown once. My friend and I found a really cool abandoned boathouse on the other side of the river by the bridge. I thought I had a picture of it online but I guess I don't.

One of these days I will make the drive down there to visit again. I just hate driving so far to explore. :(

B

BarryC

For me, I don't like to go too much north of Chatsworth very often. My range is from around the Chatsworth area down to the Delaware. But I will go up into other sections of Ocean County once in a while.
This Pine Barrens is so big and there's so much to see. I'm starting to get to know my way around in parts of Cumberland County and southern Atlantic County now. It's taking a bit of time.
njvike said:
bruset said:
One of these days I will make the drive down there to visit again. I just hate driving so far to explore. :(

I'll second that.

B

bach2yoga

BarryC said:
For me, I don't like to go too much north of Chatsworth very often. My range is from around the Chatsworth area down to the Delaware. But I will go up into other sections of Ocean County once in a while.
This Pine Barrens is so big and there's so much to see. I'm starting to get to know my way around in parts of Cumberland County and southern Atlantic County now. It's taking a bit of time.
njvike said:
bruset said:

I'll second that.

Well, given that I figure a full hour just to Wharton, and if I take the Parkway to Ocean County and drive like Cruella deVil (that's what my kids say) I can make it in a little over 1.5 hrs, I guess I join NJVike and BorderWalker and Guy in the travellers. I don't really mind most of the time. Of course there's that oh, so very occasional "Are we there" or "Mom, he's breathing my air" or "Mom, she looked at me" kind of thing. :wink: But I guess we're kind of used to it from homeschooling; we might be in Cape May one day of the week, Philly the next day, and Ocean County that weekend. Man, are my kids bugging me for a tv in the vehicle like you guys have, Ken!!! (yeah, I can see Kristen getting her schoolwork done enroute with a tv on....not...)
Renee

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Ken has it much worse than me, but it takes me at least 45 min to get to 539, which to me is the beginning of the Pine Barrens (at least the places worth exploring.)

It gets to be a bit of a pain every now and then. I do want to spend more time in Wharton, since I haven't been there in a while, excepting my small trip to Parkdale a few weeks ago.

B

bach2yoga

bruset said:
Ken has it much worse than me, but it takes me at least 45 min to get to 539, which to me is the beginning of the Pine Barrens (at least the places worth exploring.)

It gets to be a bit of a pain every now and then. I do want to spend more time in Wharton, since I haven't been there in a while, excepting my small trip to Parkdale a few weeks ago.

I do know what you mean--it takes me about 40 minutes to get to Egg Harbor, then another 20 min or so to get to the vicinity of Batsto. That's why my travels in Ocean county are not as frequent. Wish we could just remolecularize somewhere else.

Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is funny that I live south of the White Horse Pike near Philly, and I will not do any exploring south of the White Horse Pike. My favorite area is Ocean County and Wharton by far, and after 30 years of exploring those area's, I have not run out of places to visit. I feel for me there is no need to go anywhere else.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Renee,
Thats a really nice map.Alas the one spot I really want to know about isn"t on it but theirs a few on there I never knew about and a couple that the map explains to me things I"ve found bushwackin that I didn"t know what they were.
Al

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
bach2yoga said:
Man, are my kids bugging me for a tv in the vehicle like you guys have, Ken!!! (yeah, I can see Kristen getting her schoolwork done enroute with a tv on....not...)
Renee

Renee, if it weren't for that DVD we would either be spending more time at home or I would have no hair ;-) Seriously, I had to give it thought and while I don't want to ignore my sons, I do want to hear from my wife when she has something to say without the constant interruption.

I can remember the first time we had them watching it. My wife asked me what would I like to talk about and I looked at her and couldn't come up with anything. It was really scary.

If you or anyone else is interested, I do have a portable TV/VCR that I will be parting with. Just e-mail me if interested.

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
bruset said:

I consider myself fortunate, somewhat. My in-laws live right off of RT70 so I normally try to schedule a visit with them when there's a get together. Sometime it works, sometimes not.

It takes my 2 hours to get to there and another 35 minutes to Chatsworth or 25 to Lacey.

I would say that my favorite area is the Wharton area although I enjoy traveling to any parts of the Pine Barrens.

I would love nothing more than to move down that area so I could just explore. Perhaps, I'll retire down there. I can see myself sliding down the running boards at age 70+ and then using a walker to get around ;-)