mice

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
I am posting this for a coworker.

He is losing the battle against mice in his home in Williamstown.

He said he recently found lots of little holes and tunnels in his backyard and has had a constant mouse problem since he moved in. He has been using traps but they just keep coming back.

Any suggestions to keep the mice away for good?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I have been pet-free for about 5 years now and enjoy not having the added expense and trouble. But I've had cats (and several dogs) ever since 1974 prior to that. Cats will certainly help with a mouse problem, but it somewhat depends on the specific cat. Living in the city, our bored indoor cats liked to play with the mice. The female would even carry them around like a kitten. After awhile the mice would die from this kind of abuse. ;)

Then with an old cat, they would eventually "retire" from mouse-catching. They would make some kind of effort but not all that good. Regardless, I think the mice could smell the cat and they would keep them away to a certain extent. My last cat was like this when he died at age 17. Funny thing is, just a couple days after he died mice got into the kitchen and made a big mess.

Of course, the mice can also get into drawers and cabinets through routes not available to a cat, so you will still have some issues. These days I just use the grocery store variety of mouse poison and it has been very effective. I find this is essential out in my toolshed. If I don't keep the poison current out there the mice build nests inside the engines of my snowthrower, lawn mower and generator. They ate through some internal wires in the generator and that was a pain to fix. Even with the poison, this winter I fired up the snowthrower to test it (never needed to actually use it this winter). When it wouldn't start, I opened it up and found a nest with a dried out dead mouse (maybe a rat, it was pretty big) in there!

I'm not so keen about using poison but I just don't know of any other practical way to control the mice here. In one evening they can ruin all your packaged foods and leave droppings all over everything in your drawers. :mad:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Working on my wife's GTI some time ago I found a nest tucked up back in the engine compartment. What a mess. Fortunatley no wiring or hoses were ruined, just a mess. Have no idea how long it was there, or would have been if the car didn't have a power brake problem. :rolleyes:

I would be wary of using poisons if there are kids around, would rather traps in strategic places. Slow, but effective.

Reactions: dogg57

Medford Piney

Explorer
Feb 25, 2008
Medford
the little triangle bait boxs work great, start where you see them and work yo way around to you get to whre you think they enter. The mice will carry that back to the nest and feed thier young.

Also if you know where they are coming in, line the area with steel wool, they will try to chew thru and will not be able. So, 1 they won't get in and 2, mice can not coagulate (sp) thier blood, so they will bleed out and die..