Military Fox Hole

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I visited the fox hole in Bob's first post. It is completely dug out with no evidence of the dirt still being there. I did see some stones in the hole so it may have been dug for those but I doubt it. That endeavor leaves mounds and there aren't any. I say the dirt may have been used at West Mill or Rockwood for the bogs or maybe for something else. So basically, it is a borrow pit.

IMG_7361a.jpg

Someone has been going there as they have a deer stand nearby. It originally was a wooden platform but burned in the fire. I believe the hunters that Miller allows down West Mill Road may be involved, but you can get there from Rockwood road if you drive around the plastic sign.

IMG_7362a.jpg

His line of fire to the food.
IMG_7366a.jpg

This one is a challenge.
IMG_7367a.jpg

Either he stores the food up there or he uses it to lean on.

DSC_5440a.jpg

Here is one for everyone to ponder. I am not saying where it is.

IMG_7368a.jpg

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You did not go down to the stream where Gabe pointed out the stream may have been filled with the dirt for easier crossing?

I have been there many times. That place is washed out from all of the off-road vehicles. Nothing to see. You have been there as well.

Reactions: pinelandpaddler
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I visited the fox hole in Bob's first post. It is completely dug out with no evidence of the dirt still being there. I did see some stones in the hole so it may have been dug for those but I doubt it. That endeavor leaves mounds and there aren't any. I say the dirt may have been used at West Mill or Rockwood for the bogs or maybe for something else. So basically, it is a borrow pit.

View attachment 19165

Guy, Rockwood had its own borrow pits here: https://boydsmaps.com/#18.00/39.696351/-74.720308/mbxterrain/0.00/0.00 ??

How large is the ironstone there?

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have to wonder; why did they leave a mound in the center? Odd.
Maybe the vehicle went around the edges pulling the dirt upwards. This would leave more of the center there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I found another one about the same size with what appears to be digging. I will check it out in the future. A road went by it years ago. It is not in the same area as the foxhole.

hill.jpg

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
Looking at some great past threads on geology on here, but a lot of old images are missing. It'd be great if Spung-Man weighed in on this one. I've seen ironstone/sandstone plenty of times but the silvery gray color is unusual.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Looking at some great past threads on geology on here, but a lot of old images are missing. It'd be great if Spung-Man weighed in on this one. I've seen ironstone/sandstone plenty of times but the silvery gray color is unusual.
Can't tell for sure from the picture, but my first impression was that the color is owing to lichen

Reactions: stiltzkin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will go back one day soon and spend more time there. I have other places nearby I have things to look for anyway.