Mini Netbook, Laptop?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I am looking for one of the mini's for my wife. She does not need the power of a full blown laptop, just net use, emails, photo viewing(no editing); just the basic stuff. I like the idea of Dells Inspiron M101Z as it runs Windows & and has the capacity for 4G's of memory. The one downside is no internal optical drive, but that's understandable and an external would work just fine. Any recommendations for a non-Dell equivalent? Thanks.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
46er,

I really love the 11-inch MacBook Air for its small footprint, ease of use, and reliability. It is convenient to tote to presentations, and even has a full-sized keyboard! The three drawbacks are price, the mini DisplayPort – yet another cable iteration so you can’t use the old one), and you have to search hard for a decent-fitting cover. Does your wife really care about Windows compatibility?

Spung-Man

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
+1 on the MacBooks. We bought a new Dell in December, but it ran slow and did a memory dump on us. That was enough to bring it back and dish out a few more shells for the Mac. I was a little iffy about the switch to a Mac, but once you go Mac, you'll never go back. It's quiet, quick, and easier than I thought as far as getting used to.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Finally, this site is starting to move towards Mac :D

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
I have an ASUS EE netbook and am happy with it. It's now close to 2 years old, no problems. Very small and lightweight, great for carrying around the airport and it runs up to 10 hours on battery, WIN 7 Starter Edition. It came with 1GB RAM and I then maxed it out to 2GB RAM. 4GB RAM may be overkill for your needs, unless it comes cheap. I have never come close to using the 2GB RAM in my nebook but if you really need 4GB, a netbook might not be the best choice anyhow.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
AFAIK, the Intel Atom CPU's in all netbooks max out at 2GB. I had an Asus EEE myself and really was not happy with it. I exchanged it for a Samsung netbook which was much better in terms of build quality. The Asus was cheap, but the keyboard and trackpad were really terrible... like everything else, you get what you pay for. :)

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
I'm a Mac fan myself. Have a MacBook for 2 years now, and no problems with it. My wife has an Acer for over 2 years and also has had no problems with hers.