Mink?

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Anyone know what the numbers of mink are like in the pines? While driving home Saturday night around 10pm, I saw run in front of me what I thought to be my first mink sighting. I've come across many otter, both in NJ and at our place in the Adirondacks, but this animal was a bit smaller, darker, and had a noticeably bushier tail. Definately not a skunk. I was near Dover Forge on Dover Rd when we saw it run in front of us. My brother also agreed it had a different look than an otter. Im pretty familiar with the weasel family and have come across quite a few martins and a couple of fishers while backpacking. I believe this would be the first mink I've spotted though. Just wondering how many of you have come across mink in the pines?

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Found one on the road, dead and "undamaged" last year on the EHC side of the Lower Bank bridge. It was pretty easy to identify it since it kept still.... :) I actually 4X wrapped it in plastic, put it in my freezer, and gave it to a friend who sells pelts. They have a small white patch under their chin if you ever have the opportunity to see one up close. Yeah, and about 1/2 the size of an otter.

turtle