More mountain lion sightings

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
I'm no expert but this looks nothing like my dogs' prints. I was comparing it to this chart, where it looks closest to Bobcat. I followed the tracks for more than a 1/4 mile, never saw one claw mark. I should have taken side by side pics of the tracks with my dogs but this was about 3 minutes after I figured out my camera was fubar'd from dropping in a stream, so I only took one pic.

BTW, that Puma pdf was great, thanks for posting.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Doubting Thomas's,

I have uploaded photos of the elusive Pinelands Cougar to my album. Check them out! Also a couple shots of tracks.

That looks like the rear end of my house cat :D Can't seem to find your other pix, but if they are the same cat, it's definitely domesticated.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Does it look like my housecat?

4306808063_1c377fa75a.jpg

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Interesting photos damkayaker.....my initial reaction was it a kitty cat......I just don't think you could ever get that close to a cougar. The things face looks like a yote.

As for pancoast pics...the bottom of the heal pad needs to be double scalloped, that one is single, best way to tell between canine and feline tracks.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
46er, I agree that it has a kitty cat look to it's mug. Maybe it's a cross breed between a cougar & kitty cat or kitty cat & bobcat. If I can't get the image in this post, look for it in my albums. I scanned it in there in the center of the scanner so you may have to scroll around to center to see it.
Mike :ninja:

Found your pix, looks like a typical orange tabby cat. Puma's/cougars/mt lions don't have striped tails. Quite a few folks own Maine Coons, my sister does. Several breeders in the state as well. One big domestic cat. One of the first on this continent, some cat fanciers claim they came over with the Vikings. The state cat of Maine, get up to 25 lbs, many color variations. Probably what a lot of folks are seeing.

Tracks look canine to me.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I'm no expert but this looks nothing like my dogs' prints. I was comparing it to this chart, where it looks closest to Bobcat. I followed the tracks for more than a 1/4 mile, never saw one claw mark. I should have taken side by side pics of the tracks with my dogs but this was about 3 minutes after I figured out my camera was fubar'd from dropping in a stream, so I only took one pic.

BTW, that Puma pdf was great, thanks for posting.

well if you saw no claws it may be a cat but bobcats and cougars would be unlikely to walk a quarter mile up a trail where they could be tracked.Prints are hardly ever found except occasionally near water where they have no choice but to walk in mud or sand.most of the time in the woods they stick to off trail and run across logs and rock a lot.their most obvious sign is their scent posts which are mud and debris raked up into a pile and then they apray on it.the pile itself is not obvious but the scent sure is.smells like the lion cage at the zoo or my backyard when the stray males start coming around to harras the wild female that lives out back.
Al

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The Maine Coon eats normal cat food, just more of it. Hers is very private, gets along fine with dogs, she had a Great Dane till she had to put it down. That picture is not her cat, something I grabbed. Ours is a plain jane orange tabby my son brought home from work, was a feral kitten and looks just like the one in your photo's. My sisters is much darker in color and the tail is not bushy. They come in lots of varieties and hers is about 15lbs. The size difference is very noticeable next to her 'normal' cat. There are a lot of feral cats out and about, probably what most folks are seeing.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Now this is what a Cougar/Puma/Mt Lion looks at. A once in a lifetime set of pictures sent from an acquaintence. Pictures were taken near Yellowstone, where a sighting is something special, to get 5 at once is mind boggling.

4311187457_6c233743af.jpg

4311187447_e2be7fe902.jpg

4311187461_041ac997f5.jpg

oceancountynj

Feb 25, 2010
cougar sightings

I find this thread interesting. When I first moved into Forked River in 1983 their were 3 or 4 large cat sightings in the paper. One was at a school bus stop where parents and children saw it. This was on Lacey road west of the parkway.
I have seen tracks at Double trouble state forest. Took pics on a cell phone but could never get them verified.

One poster doubted how they could get here. (All of NJ is a penninsula, not just S. Jersey). Maybe they were always here. They could come across the Washington crossing bridge. They don't even need ezpass

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I saw a Leopard climbing a pole at Good Luck PT this morning on my way to Home Depot. I think all the high water caused it to find some higher ground. Will try a get some pix.

Photo added :happycat:

4394724525_0ee4d34281_o.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
a leopard would have to swim across the ocean to get here.it is obvious from the pic that that is a jaguar.it could have easily walked here from arizona or even south america.I hoe it didn't have a fire ant queen stuck in it's fur:-(
Al

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Sorry it took me so long to find it.... But per PBFog's request....

He was such a little guy....

sasquatch 2..jpgsasquatch 3..jpg

It really sucks..and is a little weird..when you have nothing better to do than take sasquatch pictures in the woods. I should really start working...or dating..or something!