More Nature 2012

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
They are a newt Chris.They are the juvenile stage of the eastern red spotted newt.The newts after going through a larval stage become terrestrial for two to three years and this is the stage you are seeing.At about three years of age they loose the orange coloration but keep the spots and become olive green,grow gills and enter the water never to leave.They used to be quite common in pet stores,may still be?They are quite cool.I have been in north jersey during a series of showers once,it was stokes state forest amd there were hundreds of them walking all over the forest floor.I wish they stayed that way,they are so beautiful,not ugly when they turn green but not as wow as when their orange.

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
Ditto what Al said with an exception: eastern newts actually have TWO larval stages . . . a fully aquatic water-breathing stage, then the fully terrestrial eft stage, followed by the aquatic adult stage. Also as adults they do not grow gills. They are fully air-breathing during both eft and adult stages. Here's a picture of an adult male in breeding season:

8213691889_b7331290c7_c.jpg

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I agree with you, Al. I like the color of the Eft stage best.

When I lived in Vermont as a kid, we used to have fun trying to catch the adults in the local waterways.

Chris

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
Have you encountered Pines w/ the red before ?
Sorry Joe, I didn't mean to ignore you . . . the shorts answer is yes, but it usually diminishes with age. Neonates can sometimes have a much more impressive show of red, but its not the norm by a long shot. This is probably the best example I've ever seen:
6280623207_e4fcf35bcf_b.jpg

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Impressive is the perfect adjective for that juvenile. Spectacular would be appropriate too. Very Nice!

joc

Explorer
May 27, 2010
Wall, NJ
Sorry Joe, I didn't mean to ignore you . . . the shorts answer is yes, but it usually diminishes with age. Neonates can sometimes have a much more impressive show of red, but its not the norm by a long shot. This is probably the best example I've ever seen:
6280623207_e4fcf35bcf_b.jpg

joc

Explorer
May 27, 2010
Wall, NJ
Bob , No need to aplologize ! Thanks for posting , that is a great looking snake! Coloration is unlike any i've ever seen ;Seems Brick-red , almost orange tinge ? I've seen pics of black rats and kings w/ the red , but nothing close to this one .
Joe