more pine snakes

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Mark and I taking a short botany study today. Half way though our walk, stopped to sit for a few minutes. We were discussing how often we see an occasional critter pass through our quiet area... often a snake. When we got up to head to the next spot a decent size pine snake was crossing the path around the bend from us. Nice. It moved too quickly and disappeared before we could get a picture. Another 100 feet ahead Mark points to a small hole in the sandy ground with something moving. I first thought it was a toad.... but no, it was a young pine snake. I only had my point and shoot camera and did not want to get too close to the opening so this is what I captured. Surprisingly, I think I can see other sets of eyes in the background....definitely at least one..... Today the snakes took the prize. :)

IMG_3882.JPG
IMG_3883.JPG
IMG_3888.JPG

IMG_3879.JPG
IMG_3880.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
On August 2 Jessica and I found this. Best to watch using youtube in full screen.

Reactions: manumuskin

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Quite interesting!

Turtle, the pines you found are in a nest. You should go back and observe each year and you will be find the female digging that nest and the young hatching out around now. Those babies should hang by that nest for a week or more. Nice finds