Mountain Biking

KCB

Scout
Mar 29, 2007
Spring Lake Hts. NJ
Hi, new to the site. I am interested in doing some riding in the PB. I was thinking of Wharton state forest. Are there any areas to ride there? If not could someone suggest another area more suitable. I am not necessarily interested in challenging trails as I have them close to home. I was sort of interested in exploring more remote areas on bike. Is there anything I would need to be aware of as this is a large area. Does everyone use a GPS? Are there areas to avoid due to undesirables etc.? Thanks in advance.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Mountain bike trails start at the Atsion ranger station. Go to the office for info. Although there are no marked trails there others start at the Carranza memorial and explore the wide trails there. Get a map.

Ed

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
And hecks yeah, use a GPS! It's not hard to get lost, and it's a big place. A GPS or at least some reliable navigation tool is essential, and a cell phone is even better, although sometimes reception is spotty.
As for undesirables, (other than myself and the fine people of this forum), I haven't encountered anyone shady other than some drunken dudes at the Brooksbrae ruins. You're running a bigger risk going to the mall, I suspect. You're not going to run into Paulie Walnuts and Christopher Maltisanti, or even some angry half naked russian dude. :)

KCB

Scout
Mar 29, 2007
Spring Lake Hts. NJ
Thanks for the info. I wasn't thinking of Paulie Walnuts, more like squatters or people who have taken up residence in the woods that don't like strangers. I ask because a place I used to hike in NJ/NY had some forest dwellers:D that were known to take a shot at people if they got too close. Not to kill but to deter.
Are maps available online or do I have to go to the ranger station?

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Speaking of being shot at, make sure you wear blaze orange during hunting season. If you're not sure when that is, wear it anyway. We got vests at Harrys Army/Navy for like 5 bucks.

KCB

Scout
Mar 29, 2007
Spring Lake Hts. NJ
Orange is not a problem but I will check the FGW site for season. Thanks for warning. Are there areas that are restricted to hunters?

Attachments

• ral_mojave50_orange_07_m.jpg
    ral_mojave50_orange_07_m.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 289

johnew

Dec 31, 2006
Trailriding in the Pine Barrens

Lebanon(BB) State Forest has the white-blazed Mount Misery trail that loops out of Pakim Pond. It is about a 10 mile ride. I led a group of scouts and their leaders on a ride here last Saturday. There was some mud holes and the sugar sand was passable.

Wharton State Forest and Jersey Action Riders are working on a trail network out of Batsto Village parking lot. The first section of it is about 6 miles. It has not been completed and a color blazing has not decided. It is currently marked with pink engineering tape. The trail is supposed to be part of the Earth Day celebration at Batsto this year.

I haven't had any problems with hunters or other park users.

I'll be riding the white trail this morning.
John

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Orange is not a problem but I will check the FGW site for season. Thanks for warning. Are there areas that are restricted to hunters?

There are a few areas in the Greenwood Forest that are off limits for cars, so I would assume the same is true for bikes.

Also, stay off of the Batona trail which has pink markers. Leave that for the hikers.

Guy

KCB

Scout
Mar 29, 2007
Spring Lake Hts. NJ
I am a bit confused. If I am riding trails in the woods why would cars be an issue? I am used to horses as they are present where I currently ride but I rarely see them and people are curteous. Maybe I'll just hike or take my canoe, don't tell me I have to watch out for wave runners:(

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am a bit confused. If I am riding trails in the woods why would cars be an issue? I am used to horses as they are present where I currently ride but I rarely see them and people are curteous. Maybe I'll just hike or take my canoe, don't tell me I have to watch out for wave runners:(

I think what he means is that those trails at times cross roads. Obviously, the consequences of accidentally crossing a dirt road with a speeding car passing by at the same time are severe.

Guy

NJTaco

Oct 18, 2006
Galloway, NJ
Wells Mills Park

Where are you located? And how long a trail at minimum?

Wells Mills Park in Waretown has a designated 3.5 mile shared-use loop, but the rest of their trails are off-limits to bikes. Same concern for hikers/horses, but I think no hunting there, IIRC. I've ridden from where Morey Place Road crosses the Parkway to the park, too, but the sugar sand was FRUSTRATING.

The trail varies from hard-packed fire road, to singletrack, to sugar sand road, and back to hardpack. A nice, easy ride if you are in shape, with a good bike. There are a few small hills, no serious, hard-core stuff. It is well marked.

KCB

Scout
Mar 29, 2007
Spring Lake Hts. NJ
Thanks Teegate, that's a legitimate concern:eek: Taco, I live in Spring lake Hts. and ride the trails on the south side of Allaire State park, there are miles of trails there and I seldom see another soul which I like. I am looking to do some rides in the PB as it seems like an interesting place to explore, I just thought I could cover more area on bike but it sounds like there are limited areas so I am now thinking about going on foot. Are there any hikes organized through this site by the members?

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Just be aware that most of pine barrens south of Allaire is not developed like Allaire, there are hundreds of thousands of acres of woods that are very wild. With that in mind and proper preparation I hope you have fun!!

Jeff