Mud

On Washington-Speedwell Rd, half way between Washington-Jenkins and Maxwell roads, there is a huge mud trap. How do I know this? We'll last night around 8:30 I got a call from my friend to come get him. I'm not going to name names but his initials are KenDawg (sorry Ken). LOL
His front end was buried to the chassis in mud. He got stuck trying to take the high-pass around the muddy road and it turned out the mud was just as bad on the high-pass. I called another friend with an Explorer and we met Ken at the Wading Pines campgrounds where he had called from. Once we got to Ken's truck we did not have much trouble getting him out.
Avoid that road!

Steve

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Your lucky I don't have photo's of a Jeep stuck. But maybe that proves your point!

Guy

B

BarryC

Mud? Boy do I wish I had pictures to go with my stories!
I've had my truck for nearly 16 years. For most of that time I've explored the Pines with it. In the early years I used to get stuck a lot. I probably got stuck 5 or 6 times in the early years. Now I just don't take the chances I used to, I guess.
I have NO winch, I've never had a cell phone, and I've always explored alone, till the past couple years. And I never carried a shovel.
When I got stuck, it was almost always because there were deep and wide ruts hidden under water in the puddle. I would go down into those and end up sitting on the frame and axles with my tires spinning free in the water.

It's a weird conincidence, but every time I got stuck, it took me 5 hours to walk out of the woods. I don't know why. It wasn't 4 hours one time and 3 another. It was always 5. I guess I had a knack for being stuck far away from civilization! One time I had to leave it stuck in the woods overnight. Or maybe it was twice. I forget now. I know one of the times I left it overnight, the right side of the front end was down and it wouldn't move at all, and water was laying on the passenger side floor. That was the time my co-worker at Batsto put me up for the night in one of the empty worker's cottages at Batsto. In the morning he got a Forest Fire Power Wagon and winched me out.
My first stuck was when I had a friend down from my hometown in North Jersey. We were stuck somewhere northeast of Atsion. Nearby there was a puddle in a road that you couldn't see the end of! I'm glad I never went in that one. I was told it was known as "quarter-mile mud" or "quarter-mile puddle". That time was the only time I was pulled out by a real tow service. The guy charged me $85, which just happened to be all I had on me. I had extra money on me because my best friend was down from North Jersey and we planned on doing stuff.
Barry

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I always get out and walk thru suspicious holes to find the deep spots and see if it"s doable.I never carry a shovel either am often alone and have no cell phone:)I don"t take the chances I did as a youngun and I finally have 4by4 after wantin it for nearly 40 years.Walking puddles has saved me many a long walk.
Al

B

BarryC

Hmm... I get the impression from those pictures that they were going in the mud for the sake of going in the mud. I only drive in it when it stands between me and where I want to go. But I do admit, I like it when there is mud on my truck. Don't know why...
kingofthepines said:

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
To be honest, I've stuck two Jeeps in the Pine Barrens. One - my first - was somewhere on Iron Pipe Rd (I think) and I sucked mud/water into the intake. Bye bye engine.

The second, my old Jeep Grand Cherokee, I drove into a lake and it almost sunk. I got pulled out, drove it home, yanked the interior, dried it out, put in a new carpet, and drove it until I bought a Miata. My mom drives it now.

I've had too many bad experiences to take crazy risks. I was sweating bullets when Guy and I went out last weekend and I drove through a puddle.