Mullica Bridge On Jackson Road

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I went across that bridge today going towards Atco and I swear I thought we were going through. Has an anyone else felt the same?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Not that one, but the one on Stage Rd over the W Branch Bass River sure feels like its ready to let go.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It has been repaired in more recent years but seems to be wearing out again.

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
Yep was redone several years back but think there is too much traffic for a lumber surface. You feel every timber crossing.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Not that one, but the one on Stage Rd over the W Branch Bass River sure feels like its ready to let go.
W. Branch river bridge is apparently OK, but the nearby E. Branch river bridge was recently downgraded from 15 ton max weight to 5 ton max. I think they just covered the "1" on the signs with white paint and slapped a "NEW" sign below. But yes, if you hit either of those bridges at 45 MPH you will probably regret it.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I travel Atco Road everyday, it's pretty bad, I've waiting for the detour signs to go up. It see's too much traffic for a wood bridge, but I still hate to see all the wood bridges paved.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I was following a trailer carrying an "over size" load. When it went across some of the boards deflected at least an inch. I see a repair in the not to distant future.

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I again headed down Jackson Road and just before the bridge heading away from Atco there is a pothole that can destroy a car. I hit that and thought my car was done for. I hate to think about a motorcycle hitting it at night.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So today I put pavers underneath my trash cans and drove my car into my back yard because they were so heavy. I just happened to notice that my right front tire had a bubble in it that I am certain is from the pothole on Jackson Road. I had road hazard on the tire so it cost me $50 to have it replaced. :bang:

IMG_0216a.jpg

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I like Iowa. I was there in the mid-80's going to a school. Went out in some of that country where all you could hear was an occasional cow lowing, maybe a chicken or two, and perhaps the creaking of a someone opening a screen door at a farmhouse.

Very peaceful.

Reactions: h2ochild

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Speaking of old bridges, and fortunately not in our area, take a look at this story from last week in Iowa. Weight Limit 3 Ton bridge, say hello to 15+ Ton Truck. Yes I think it could happen here. The driver probably figured if he floored it he would make it across. Almost did, too.
http://www.decorahnews.com/news-stories/2017/05/16520.html
Same thing happened in Winslow in the '90's. A crane made it across but the person in the chase truck went for a ride.

h2ochild

Scout
Nov 24, 2010
Bass River Township
I like Iowa. I was there in the mid-80's going to a school. Went out in some of that country where all you could hear was an occasional cow lowing, maybe a chicken or two, and perhaps the creaking of a someone opening a screen door at a farmhouse.

Very peaceful.
I miss Iowa. I lived there also from 1980 'till 1983, when I returned to here. I lived outside of Davenport and really enjoyed pheasant hunting, fishing, and the friendliness of the people. In Decorah, the area of the bridge accident, is a heirloom seed repository and exchange, a non profit dedicated to saving heirloom farming/ garden varieties. Coincidentally, a friend of mine from those days, is visiting us and staying overnight tonight.

Reactions: bobpbx

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
YT
Yes. Signs went up about a week ago at the East Branch Bass River Bridge: closed May 15. Doesn't say when the bridge will re-open, but I was told they are replacing the bridge and it will take a week.

I don't know if they will block the West Branch bridge too. Between the bridges is the BATONA trail head, 1 house's driveway, plus access to Dan Bridge Rd and Coal Rd, but no way out. I'll check it out Monday. There is also a footbridge over West Branch just north of there (not on any map...) and I'm wondering if that will be accessible to walkers/hikers.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Re: Stage Road bridge over East Branch Bass River, in Bass River Township:

The bridge is open today, about a week early. (It was planned to be shut down for 5/15 - 5/26. Who ever heard of a 2 week construction job finishing a week early?) It is re-posted at 15 Ton Max Weight. When I drove over it today, it looks like they just replaced some of the planks in the decking.