Mullica Steam Boat

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
We saw this boat just upstream of the Forks restaurant on Wednesday. Note the wood fuel. I would like to see it under power. Fire on boats scares me.

Ed

Mellie

Jan 19, 2011
Maybe it is fake??

Guy

No it's real. I had the pleasure of meeting the owner and seeing the boat a couple of summers ago. He was camping at Atsion and had the boat in the river. I was kyaking and he was swimming near the boat. He was very proud of the boat and very willing to talk about it. He lives near Philadelphia. The boat as a cappuccino machine that his wife got real cheap at a yard sale. They also roast hot dogs in the boiler. When I saw the boat it had it's curtins and top on it which made it look like the boat from the Bogart movie African Queen.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So we could have a PBX hike and meet up with him and have some fresh hotdogs. We have all talked about running into an ice cream stand, but hotdogs will do.:D

Seriously, thanks for the info.

Guy

Mellie

Jan 19, 2011
Mellie,

That does not sound right. You mean Atsion Lake? How did he get it there?

No it's right. He camped at either Atsion Family Campgroud or at Goshen Pond, I can't remember which one. I guess that would be part of Atsion Lake/MullicaRiver. He told us trailers it in and camps at a spot right at the river. He even rigged up a little launch area with a few 2x4 and rope to tie it off on. I specifically remember this boat in particular because of the name "Catiwissa" which is a town in PA near a spot my has family vacationed at several times.

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
My buddy told me about this steam ship last year when he was canoeing at Atsion Lake. It is the real deal.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
5113183174_93153c9b70_b.jpg

Gary Rockwell took the picture

Pandot

Scout
Sep 30, 2008
Sweetwater
This boat's been the talk of the neighborhood. The owner lives here in Sweetwater now. Apparently, he takes the boat out quite regularly because it seems on average we hear the whistle every other day. very cool.