Munion Field

Folks:

James Ungehajer contacted me in a PM and inquired about Munion Field. I know that other forum members have expressed some interest in this place, so I decided to post my reply to all.

There is very little written on Munion Field. Beck mentions it in his book, Forgotten Towns of Southern New Jersey. Henry Bisbee's work, Sign Posts : Place Names in History of Burlington County, N.J. and his previous work, Place Names, are the only works I have found that discuss this location. Here is what Bisbee writes in Sign Posts:

MUNION FIELD (Bass River Township). An area on the eastern border of the township once owned by a man named LeMunion. First name unknown. A LeMunion was living at Indian Mills as shown on the 1873 [sic] [N.B.: should be 1876 and name on map is "J. Le Munyan" not "LeMunion"].
An interesting place name, Lumervian Fields, may be found in the 1865 road returns. It pinpoints the place as Munion Field. The name may be a misspelling of the word "lemma," a small aquatic plant which grows in shallow bog and is commonly called "duckweed."

I think Doc Bisbee got some of the history right, although I think the discussion of a lemma is a bit of stretch. Furthermore, even though I have not looked at the cited road return, I have to wonder if Doc should have written a new spectacle prescription for himself and may have misread the script in the recorded document.

The real problem stems from the surname "Munion." Its variants include: LeMunyon, LaMunyon, Munyon, Munion, Munnion, Aomunion, LeMerion, Lamorion, and, perhaps even Manion. At least some of these stem from scrivner errors. For those of you familiar with the Tuckerton Historical Society, June LaMunyon is a fixture there and her husband comes from the family I am discussing in this thread.

For purposes of discussion here, I will uniformly called the family "Munion" to aviod confusion except when citing specific individuals, for whom I will use the surname they used. The American Munion family begins in New England, apparently in Rhode Island. There are members of the family in New Jersey by the early eighteenth century, although most are located along the Delaware River in Gloucester and Salem counties.

By the second half of the eighteenth century, a Richard LeMunyon or Munnion (variant spellings within source) appears in a number of Monmouth County tax ratable lists. Born during or before 1743, Richard had at least four sons: Thomas, John, Cornelius, and David. Most of these sons migrated to Greene County, Pennsylvania and at least Thomas reportedly dropped the "Le" from his surname. David reportedly returned to New Jersey. Meanwhile, one source states that Richard LeMunyon witnessed the will of a Joseph Burdy in Dover Township, Monmouth County, although I could not find that will in the will volumes of the New Jersey Archives series nor have I located that will personally to see the witnesses signatures first-hand. Nonetheless, if the source can be trusted, Dover Township, now located in Ocean County, lies just ENE of Munion Field, placing Richard in the immediate proximity.

The typescript index for the Colonial Deeds and Conveyances does not contain any Munions (including spelling variants) except one in Greenwich Township, Gloucester County, suggesting that land transactions would be found in Burlington and Monmouth county deed books. I will not say with certainty that Richard owned this land without checking all of the sources, but I think it is safe to say that either he or one of his descendents likely owned Munion Field at some point in time. The earliest cartographic reference that I have found for this toponym is the 1876 Scott atlas of Burlington County. The place name appears on the county map in the atlas. I would be interested in hearing of any older maps that depict it. It does not appear on the 1812 Watson or the Thomas Gordon map of New Jersey (all editions). The 1858 Burlington County map fails to show it as well. If the 1865 road return that Bisbee cites is Munion Field Road, then that is when Munion Field probably becomes an "official" place name.

So, the final question is why is Munion Field a place name depicted on maps? I think it may have simply served as a locational landmark for the junction of roads adjacent to the land.

Now, with all of the above written information, I should note that the Oxford English Dictionary defines a munion as the trunnion of a gun. Furthermore, the OED also lists a munnion, which the work defines as a mullion, an architectural feature that divides the glass or lights in a window. These definitions notwithstanding, I think that Munion Field stems from the surname and not any type of manufactured or crafted item.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I do not know if spelling or local names count for any clarity but...
Some years back I worked for a company in which a Sam Lemunyon had an account with us.
He was owner of sizable cranberry bogs I want to say from memory in the Shamong/Medford area?
I think he was part of the Ocean Spray growers Co-op or something similar.
Very nice man, always wanted the best equipment, no cheap parts, paid his bills, pleasant.
Barely spoke above a whisper.
At least that spelling I can almost 100% recollect as accurate.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Jerseyman, to add to the knowledge, from page 66 of The 1910 report of the NJ State Museum, Witmer Stone tells of an account of a wagon trip by one C. F. Saunders (Tuckerton to Atsion, 1899):

"..(after leaving Tuckerton)...Mile after mile of oak and pine barrens were passed without sign of human habitation, and when 5 miles were registered we came to the spot which is marked upon the maps as Munyon Field. Here, in old times, had been a house, and a family had lived here, scratching some sort of a living from the sand and fattening hogs on the abundant mast which strewed the ground under the little chinquapin oaks. Now no vestige of human occupation remains save a little clearing, which is rapidly filling up with wildings from the surrounding forest..."

Jerseyman, to add to the knowledge, from page 66 of The 1910 report of the NJ State Museum, Witmer Stone tells of an account of a wagon trip by one C. F. Saunders (Tuckerton to Atsion, 1899):

"..(after leaving Tuckerton)...Mile after mile of oak and pine barrens were passed without sign of human habitation, and when 5 miles were registered we came to the spot which is marked upon the maps as Munyon Field. Here, in old times, had been a house, and a family had lived here, scratching some sort of a living from the sand and fattening hogs on the abundant mast which strewed the ground under the little chinquapin oaks. Now no vestige of human occupation remains save a little clearing, which is rapidly filling up with wildings from the surrounding forest..."

Boyd:

Very, very nice addition to this thread! I do have the 1910 Museum volume in my state report collection, but it has been quite some time since I last looked at it. Even so, I don't recall reading that particular passage, but I surely will not forget it after reading your message.

Thank you very much for your input!!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
Thanks for the great historical research done on this mysterious spot in the Pines.

I always imagined that Munion Field was most likely a stage coach stop on the way to Tuckerton since whoever lived there would be well away from everything else. It's location on the stage line would be a welcome stop since there wasn't anything else for some distance in either direction. The name is also reminiscent of Bodine Field which was the same. Also, the location seems to be a major crossroad and has at least 5 roads intersecting, so it would at least seem like a good spot to place a resting stop. Of course after the 1860's, it would have just become a tough place for a family to survive.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd:

Very, very nice addition to this thread! I do have the 1910 Museum volume in my state report collection, but it has been quite some time since I last looked at it. Even so, I don't recall reading that particular passage, but I surely will not forget it after reading your message.

Thank you very much for your input!!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Jerseyman ... that should be Bob and not Boyd.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Everything is worth a visit, but I can tell you there is nothing there from experience.

Not so fast. It depends on what you are looking for :)

36.JPG

37.JPG

If anyone is a detective, looking at a topo map from a certain website will show you exactly where 36 is. Look for the 36!

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
:D Guy, you always get me going for my topis.

Turning northeast from the major intersection at Munion Field, oswego rd., old north green street rd., first we see a ridgeline of 70 feet, then a little further up the road is where Burlington County and Ocean County meet, is the 36 number.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Now you just have to fine it. Next time you are at Calico, stop in.

Guy