My book

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
I've been keeping this pretty hush-hush and haven't really mentioned it anywhere, but I have a book coming out about southern New Jersey sometime next year with Middle Atlantic Press as the publisher. I hesitated to mention it here mostly because I figured the attitude would be "great, another Pines book". Bumping into the author of the "Quirky" book while revisiting Chuck last fall also made me keep quiet about it. While some things in it are Pines related, much of it is not. I purposely picked as few places as possible that Beck discussed.

I don't know why I'm mentioning this now...just bored I guess. Don't feel like hiding it anymore.

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
Honestly there isn't much to say right now other than it's gonna be trade paperback and it's site-related. I'm currently at the back of the line; the publishers only do 3 books a year, and 2 of those are coming out next week. Kinda feel ignored at the moment, but my time will come.
Again, a few Pines things are in it, like APH (which I have to revamp now after hearing about its upcoming demise).

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Given the unique nature of your site, ( that is not a wisecrack. I find it interesting ) from what perspective is the book written? If that would be letting on too much I understand completely and you needn't answer.

G.

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
:ninja:

Ehhh, same as the site I guess - just more detailed writeups. The emphasis of it is little known history. I don't want to give away too many places in it; all I'm going to say right now is that there are a bit under 40 of them, split up into 31 "chapters" (too short to be chapters, really). I had to quickly add in the 31st chapter after the publisher caught wind I found something in his town.
I think the photos are better too; spent the past year and a half going out and redoing several pictures in high quality. This was really important for some places, since the last time I visited some of them was 5-6 years ago, and I was using a disposable at the time.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Actually, Stu, I am pretty excited about your book.

And I also have met and spent a decent amount of time with the author of the "Quirky Places" book. While I may not like the title (and she knows!) it's a good book and she's a really great person.

There can never be too many books about the Pines, as long as they are not WNJ-style books.

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
bruset said:
WNJ-style books.
Ugh, that was another fear of mine. Being compared to them. Unlike them, I've actually visited and photographed everywhere I've written about. They actually told me once to "open the south up for them".

I have nothing against the author of the Quirky book; I guess it was a territorial thing. That was back when I still wasn't sure if I wanted to go through with a book or not. I wanted to put Chuck in the book so I went back there, and that's where she was with some newspaper reporters. She was very nice and even told me about the Alloway rock. I think it was more of "lovely, someone else is writing about here too," so I stopped writing for a few months. I think I gave up 3 or 4 times overall.

It was very tough picking where I wanted to include. The original idea was to have things from the lower 8 counties in NJ which were in state parks or otherwise legal to visit; I'm so sick of reading about things I can't go to. Trouble was my original list was mostly Ocean & Burlington stuff. And again, I purposely avoided ghost towns and having too many Pines things because I didn't want to make yet another rehash of what's already out there. As far as I know, some things have never been written about yet. I did throw in a few 'staples', like Lucy, because while they're more well known, not everyone knows their histories. Most people I talk to are like "oh Lucy is a big elephant lol". They have no idea there were 2 other elephants or that she was towed a few blocks by a single pick-up.

Overall I think it's a pretty good mix of stuff, which was my intent. Something for everyone.
I might post the list when the release date nears. I'd probably get in trouble if I did it now.

One thing I will say - Union isn't in it. You can all sleep soundly now.

:cat:

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Stu said:
Ugh, that was another fear of mine. Being compared to them. Unlike them, I've actually visited and photographed everywhere I've written about. They actually told me once to "open the south up for them".

Heh. Back in 1998 I was their "South Jersey Correspondant."

:rolleyes:

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
The book came back from the printer today. It's on Middle Atlantic Press' front page. It's on Amazon but I don't think they're done with it yet, since the page is chock full of typos and doesn't have the cover photo up yet. If you search for "South Jersey" under books on Amazon, mine comes up first. I don't see how, seeing how it's not "officially" on Amazon yet. I'm really irked they have Lucy the Elephant in Mays Landing - should be Margate.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
The book came back from the printer today. It's on Middle Atlantic Press' front page. It's on Amazon but I don't think they're done with it yet, since the page is chock full of typos and doesn't have the cover photo up yet. If you search for "South Jersey" under books on Amazon, mine comes up first. I don't see how, seeing how it's not "officially" on Amazon yet. I'm really irked they have Lucy the Elephant in Mays Landing - should be Margate.

Don't see it on Amazon search now, but I'm looking forward to checking it out.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Stu,
Is that the only medium by which it can be purchased or will it be available in book stores?
I myself am probably equally if not more a fan of Jersey shore history than Pine Barrens.
This site just makes NJPB stuff more interesting. It seems your book might have some shore interests unless I am mistaken, and a book with a mix has to be a winner. I have been getting back to shore stuff lately. Either way I very much look forward to adding it to my shelf. Good luck!

G.

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
It'll be in stores too. When....not sure yet. Amazon says July 10 but MAP says September. There will be some shore & bay stuff in it. There's some Pine Barrens stuff but I did my best to balance the focus. There are 31 places from the lower 8 counties in NJ and I did my best to make it an interesting mix, with both well and little known places. It's set up much like my site - just a photo or 2 and a a short description.

The second book is roughly 1/3 done.

I'd email the publisher again but I think they're still annoyed with me for badgering them about all the typos, some of which still aren't fixed.

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
Nobody told me, but apparently the book is now in stores, at least some of them. A coworker found it in the mall. I guess it depends on the store because B&N in Brick said they wouldn't have it for 2-3 weeks still.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Stu,

Have you had any reviews yet? I have not picked it up yet.

Guy