My First Pine Barrens Trip: Forked River Mountains

TurboDan

Aug 11, 2012
Surf City, NJ
Thanks to everyone who responded to my post earlier this week with a few questions about exploring the roads of the pines. You were all a big help, and I decided today would be the day to give it a whirl.

I successfully made it to FRM using Bryant Road to the two unnamed roads. Some muddy spots, and a couple areas that were very sandy, but nothing too deep and nothing that my vehicle couldn't handle. The final trail from the "bonfire area" to the lookout point is a bit rough, though, but was fun to navigate. Turning around from the lookout point was interesting in and of itself. :)

The view was magnificent!

DSC_0662.jpg

DSC_0637.jpg

DSC_0640.jpg

DSC_0650.jpg

DSC_0648.jpg

A couple of shrines (plus a hummingbird feeder, freshly filled) near the lookout, and lots (and I mean lots!) of fresh glass near the fire pit.

DSC_0643.jpg

DSC_0644-1.jpg

DSC_0653.jpg

DSC_0657.jpg

DSC_0651.jpg

And best of all, my first experience went amazingly, and my SUV came through unscathed and unstuck. It felt good to get her a little dirty and dusty. I must say, I'm now hooked, and can't wait to explore more cool spots all over!

DSC_0641.jpg

DSC_0659.jpg

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
congrats on your exploration, Dan. It is always exciting to read about someone just getting into the pines and reminds me of the excitment I first felt when i started exploring them. I am sure you have many great adventures ahead of you!!

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Congrats! Glad all went well for you. Let us know of your future adventures.

Just to let you know .... the Forked River Mountains are private. The owner does not stop anyone from going there apparently, but make sure you just visit and leave things alone which you obviously did.

Guy

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Nice shots and a nice truck. But I can't help but cringe, imagining the future screeching of the scrub oak scraping against the sides. :( You may try to avoid it, but when the bug bites you, you will push the limit and head down those narrower roads. :)

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Nice shots and a nice truck. But I can't help but cringe, imagining the future screeching of the scrub oak scraping against the sides. :( You may try to avoid it, but when the bug bites you, you will push the limit and head down those narrower roads. :)
I call it "Pine Barrens Pinstriping" my white truck hardly showed it at all but my black suzuki xl7 shows it very well.

TurboDan

Aug 11, 2012
Surf City, NJ
congrats on your exploration, Dan. It is always exciting to read about someone just getting into the pines and reminds me of the excitment I first felt when i started exploring them. I am sure you have many great adventures ahead of you!!

Jeff

Thanks! It was most definitely exciting. My neighbor (a retired science teacher and commercial clammer) has been telling me about all these places for years. He's a dedicated piney! So it was great to see a little bit of what he was talking about. Actually, one of the coolest things was just hearing the sound of "nothing" and the wind all the way up there blowing through the trees. Really makes you want to go right back!

I think my next trip will be a bit southward, maybe on the hunt for Frienship and the Hawkins Bridge area.

Teegate -- I did read that it was privately-owned, but also that they didn't mind people going back there as long as you don't bother anything. Growing up near the beach and the bay, I was taught from a young age to always pick up whatever other people left around, and not contribute to the problem. So no problem there. I'd actually be happy to lend a hand at one of the future cleanups that they plan on occasion. I'll keep an eye out!

TurboDan

Aug 11, 2012
Surf City, NJ

Thanks! I was searching for a small SUV to replace my VW Passat with 155K on the clock last year and came across this one for sale in Manahawkin. I never really thought of getting a Land Rover before, but it seemed to offer the size and capability I needed, as well as some techy gadgetry that really sealed the deal, plus the price was surprisingly right. So far I've been really happy with it.

manumuskin -- Agree on the white. In the end it was between this and a dark blue Xterra, and I think I made the right choice! My mom had a white Durango for 14 years (I think she bought it the first year they came out) before finally trading it in last year for something smaller. Wasn't a scratch on it, at least that we knew of!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I'd actually be happy to lend a hand at one of the future cleanups that they plan on occasion. I'll keep an eye out!

It will be in the middle of April. Hotdogs, soda, and cookies at the end on the top of the hill where you were.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Half the fun is finding it on your own but a few tips are also nice. So, have you ever been to the Cedar Bridge Fire tower on 539? If so, go there and take the dirt road just south of it and head east. That would be this road.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.83642051559627&lng=-74.37838554382324&z=14&type=h&gpx=

Then print out this map and use it to travel to the mountains which I have marked. With a 4x4 and that map you should not have a problem.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.84768975058466&lng=-74.28937911987305&z=14&type=h&gpx=

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
PW. did you see how many people where gathering mushrooms in there today? I must have come across five different groups this afternoon, all Russians.

Reactions: pineywoman

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
No. I Didn't. I went up yesterday. However, I saw a tremendous amount of shrooms though. Webb's Mill, old charcoaling remains etc. etc etc. Just following the steps of our webmaster B. Ruset the great. Anyone know where I can find pics of the old fire tower they moved there with a helicopter and transported it down the road? I heard it is on here, but can't find. Would be neat to se. There were only a few folks back there yesterday. Mostly in 4 by 4s. I had a really awesome day exploring. One of the bet ones I've had in awhile.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
So I guess it wasn't recent then? The picture? I can't believe 1 helicopter is able to carry all that steel!! Pretty neat!

Thanks Teegate and Mr. Webmaster.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The move damaged the bottom portion and they had to remove it. It was 110 feet tall but now is 100. They also removed the gable roof off of the top which was used to spot enemy planes. I have photo's I took of the tower years ago.