My new "Toy"ota

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
Hey all,

Haven't been around in awhile. I'm in the midst of leaving my current job and starting anew somewhere better and I haven't had the time to come aboard often to write some posts.

I bring good news. My search for a capable Pine Barrens vehicle has ended. This weekend, I purchased a 1985 Toyota 4Runner. It's a very unique vehicle as it has the body properties of a Jeep Wrangler (covertible) yet with much more cargo/bed space.

My 4Runner

The guy I bought it from did a lot of mods which will make it more than capable right out of the box. It has a 2" body lift, 3" suspension lift, and a 1" drivetrain lift. Tires are brand new 33" er's. Paint's in great shape for being about 20 years old (that will change on those tiny PB trails though :) ).

This weekend I hope to get to the DMV (or MVC?) and order (another) set of Pinelands plates and get her ready for the trails. Look for me out there and if anyone ever wants a ride, let me know. We'll go exploring for real (not in an Accord coupe anymore)!

Peace,

Justin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Justin,

Nice vehicle. Enjoy yourself in the pines with it.

Guy

P

Pineyprowler

Great ride. You made a great choice them toyota trucks run forever. They are war machines. lol

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Pineyprowler said:
Great ride. You made a great choice them toyota trucks run forever. They are war machines. lol

Nice line :)

I owned two Toyota Land Cruisers and with them I had a terrible problem with rusting. I had to get rid of my last one because every time I stopped the fumes came in where it was rusted and choked out my kids. If not for that I would most likely still have it.

Guy

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
Guy,

With the rust aspect of the Toyotas, that's exactly why I bought this one. I've been searching for over 3 months for a decent 1st generation 4Runner and most of them had full 4 fender body rot, not to mention the rear tailgate and bed rot.

This one has been garage kept most of it's life and has the tiniest bit of surface rust (no bubbling) and ORIGINAL paint. I couldn't believe that one.

I'm picking it up tomorrow night and getting some personalized Pinelands plates. Now, with only 5 characters to use, what should I get?

I've got some ideas floating around.

Justin

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
TeeGate said:
You are going to have to get a demagnetizer ......... a winch.

Then again they don't always work.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/post/1979.jpg

Guy

I drove all over the Poconos, Around Scranton during College, and any other dirt road I could fund, like the top of the AP East of Tot's gap. Always used to stay in 4x2 'cause the 62 Willys got better mileage w/ the front axle locked out...Saved 4x4 for the times it got stuck. No winch, come - along, or high lift jack. Always had to get muddy turning the Warn Hubs to get Un-stuck...

Somebody had to be lookin' after me; never had to walk out looking to get a tow. Wish I still had the Willys; it would be worth something by now! :bear:

strom

Scout
Apr 24, 2004
barnegat. nj
hi guy,
good luck with the toyota.........and the new job........life is challenging,aint it.................yep,them toyotas are tanks........i had an old toyota cv station wagon.......bought it used..........ran for years..never did break down,and snow...........i brought that little blue wagon home through two feet of snow once..............love that front wheel drive...............press on , strom

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
Considering my s-10 blazer bit the dust in June, I finally got myself a new 4x4... It's a 1988 K5 Blazer. After a 4" lift and 35" tires, this thing will be almost unstoppable in the pines (knock on wood).

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
stizkidz said:
Considering my s-10 blazer bit the dust in June, I finally got myself a new 4x4... It's a 1988 K5 Blazer. After a 4" lift and 35" tires, this thing will be almost unstoppable in the pines (knock on wood).

Don't paint it up too nice, or else those narrow Pine Barrens trails will really get your paint.

I plan on throwing some 35" tires (as if 33's weren't big enough) on it this spring along with some black wheels. Should look really cool as I'm trying to get rid of all the chrome and leave it just black and red.

Justin

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
NewSchoolPiney said:
Don't paint it up too nice, or else those narrow Pine Barrens trails will really get your paint.

I plan on throwing some 35" tires (as if 33's weren't big enough) on it this spring along with some black wheels. Should look really cool as I'm trying to get rid of all the chrome and leave it just black and red.

Justin

I'm rolling around with 31" MT/R's.

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
bruset said:
I'm rolling around with 31" MT/R's.

That's the stock size on the Blazer. Compared to the rest of the truck, they look like golf cart tires. So naturally 35"s are the only acceptable solution.

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
bruset said:
Just don't blast through puddles & mud. 35's dig nice deep ruts and kill trucks that run on pizza cutters like my 31's. :)

Exactly, forces you to get real tires . . . just kidding :p. I'm really happy with my BFG M/T's and I'm definitly getting them or the new A/T KO's when I upgrade to 35X12.50's.

I've attributed my new off-roading kick to my lack of a go-cart as a child. I love just driving through the Pine Barrens when I'm bored and getting lost.

Justin