Mystery Rock Pile

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Star Tree, Apr 29, 2011.

1. manumuskin

manumuskin Piney

I remember when I was there thinking it looked limestone which definitely would not be indigenous.Being an old caver I"ve had a bit of experience with limestone.

2. rc911

rc911 Scout

IMG_20180629_202242696 (1).jpg The pile of rocks looks to be a Cairn which by definition is a pile of rocks (I couldn't resist). In the Scottish highlands, people cleared (and still do) their land of rocks and placed them in neat piles which can then be used as corner markers, direction markers or any number of utilitarian monuments. Not only is it then easier to plow their fields but they also get a secondary benefit from the rocks. Along hiking trails in New England, I've come across many cairns which are usually memorials of one sort or another. A well known one is at the summit of Mt. Mansfield in Vermont and is called Frenchman's Cairn. The story goes that a French Canadian hiker was struck and killed by lightning at the site. No, he's not buried there, it's just a monument. Cairns are often added to after they are "established" by other hikers or by friends or families for which the monument was erected. By the way, this is our dog, Duncan, a Cairn Terrier. As you can see, when he doesn't have a pile of rocks available, he'll climb just about anything.

Teegate and manumuskin like this.
  3. manumuskin

manumuskin Piney

Yes I had thought it might be a marker of sorts for someones personal history but would not have the slightest idea how to find out what the history is.If the plains were burnt to the ground it would be visible for quite a ways but the rocks do not appear to be cooked which would make them pink to red so they don't appear to have been in a hot fire. An awfully important monument to import that amount of rock that far from ab original source of limestone.The stone looks like it was possibly quarried.It doesn't look water worn,Perhpas they bought it from a quarry in Pa?

4. Toothy Critter

Toothy Critter Explorer

The Devil is trapped below it...leave it be

manumuskin and Menantico like this.
  5. Teegate

Teegate Administrator
    Site Administrator

I was able to get to the rock pile today. As the fire came from the south it is really hard to see it from the south as you arrive.

IMG_2797a.jpg

From the north you can see some of the rocks are brighter.

IMG_2810a.jpg

IMG_2806a.jpg

This is still an interesting mystery. Quite a bit of work went into getting that there.

6. 46er

46er Piney

Hunter orange really stands out, there is a glow to it :)

7. manumuskin

manumuskin Piney

did you drive to it?

8. manumuskin

manumuskin Piney

those rocks looked cooked

9. Teegate

Teegate Administrator
    Site Administrator

No. We walked. I found another stone along the way and took a few videos. I will post soon.

manumuskin likes this.