Mystery Rock Pile

Star Tree

Scout
Apr 28, 2011
Waretown
I came upon this pile of rocks about a mile behind Coyle. It's about 4' high. Some one had to drive them in on a rough road, walk them in, about 70' on a foot trail and neatly stack them by hand. Does anyone know why some one would do this? We first noticed it from the air about 2 years ago and just got around to going out there to see exactly what it was.

Attachments

• DSC_0109.JPG
    DSC_0109.JPG
    266.7 KB · Views: 456

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is interesting. When you say by air do you mean aerial photo's or were you in a plane?

Our guesses could be many, but the real reason may be elusive.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BTW, did you get your name from Star Tree Corner near the old Cedar Bridge Fire Tower?

Guy

Star Tree

Scout
Apr 28, 2011
Waretown
I saw it originally from an aircraft and you guessed right where the name came from. I can't think of any common reason why some one would do this. The ground is pretty soft out there, I'm thinking if you wanted to bury something just dig a hole.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It could be a property corner and they wanted to make sure their neighbor or anyone else knew where it was. It would be interesting to know.

Guy

Reactions: aleahey

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BTW, do you know anything about Star Tree corner other than what has been posted here in the past? What about Moon Tree Corner at the next intersection?

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Jeremiah 31:21 Set thee up waymarks, make thee high heaps: set thine heart toward the highway, even the way which thou wentest: turn again, O virgin of Israel, turn again to these thy cities

I'd say it's in our blood:)
Al

Reactions: MuckSavage

Star Tree

Scout
Apr 28, 2011
Waretown
The only thing I ever heard was that Star Tree and Moon Tree were just points of reference. I was told that Moon tree was at the intersection of Bryant and Jones Rds., although I saw it once marked on a map at the ints. of Bryant and Long Ridge. There was an old sign that said "Star Tree" hanging on one old gun club then another.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Have you viewed the map we have here showing them? If not I will get that together for you.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Star Tree,

Have you looked on aerial maps to see if any lines run to that location? That may or may not rule out a property corner.

Guy

Star Tree

Scout
Apr 28, 2011
Waretown
I was thinking that it may be interesting to take a look at a tax map to see if anything lined up. On the other note I really havn't spent a lot of time on this site so I haven't seen seen your maps yet.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am bringing forward this old post from 2011 because Jessica and I revisited today the rock pile mentioned by member Start Tree in the first post. It is a long walk to get there I can tell you that. You can really notice in my below photo that the trees in the west plains have really grown in the 7 years that it has been since Al, Jessica and I were there. And it is now impossible to even see it until you are 40 feet away from it in the woods. It does amaze me how much trouble someone went to to put this there. And as usual we had our discussion on what reason it was there. Someone buried below it, someone just getting rid of them, etc, etc.

There is no evidence that anyone has physically moved stones from the mound as it is still completely intact with every stone it appears still on the pile. It does appear to have settled somewhat though.

IMG_7430a.jpg

Reactions: h2ochild and dogg57

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Alien navigation marker? Early pyramid attempt? Certainly looks done on purpose and not just dumped. Must have come from somewhere some distance from the pines. Any clue to the type of stone?

Reactions: dogg57

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have no idea. It certainly seems from my first photo and especially Star Trees photo that they cleared that small area out to place them there. But they had to have carried each one about 80 feet from the path as I don't remember when we were there in 2011 seeing vehicle tracks into the woods.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
If I have the right spot, it shows up on 2010 GE. Anything earlier is not clear enough. Someone may have thought of putting in a well.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The 2005 and 1006 shows nothing, but the 2007 and 2008 makes me believe it may have at least been started around then. The 2010 as you say does give you a fairly clear view of it.