Nabbed

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
the problem with the law is that it is way too black and white. While the implementation of a law is usually with good intention, the discretion of the prosecutor is often too politically motivated. In an attempt to avoid endless debate and subjectivness, the judicial system and it's enforcers often embrace the strict letter of the law, often to the disadvantage of the predominitely innocent.

No simple solution, in the meantime I'll just stay under the radar most of the time and base my actions on personal ethics...I also won't sell any antlers.

Jeff

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
My Dad once said, when discussing the illegality of carrying a handgun, "it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6."

As a disclaimer: not to worry, I'm not packing, in case you were wondering.

Jeff

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
the problem with the law is that it is way too black and white. While the implementation of a law is usually with good intention, the discretion of the prosecutor is often too politically motivated. In an attempt to avoid endless debate and subjectivness, the judicial system and it's enforcers often embrace the strict letter of the law, often to the disadvantage of the predominitely innocent.

No simple solution, in the meantime I'll just stay under the radar most of the time and base my actions on personal ethics...I also won't sell any antlers.

Well said Jeff. As for the handgun thing, I wish this state were more like Vermont, but that being said I'm not about to test that law.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
After reading these comments. One day you might have your back against the wall.Many of our older people in this state are taxed so much they lose there house they worked for all there life,also they eat dog food.If he was poaching thats one thing.In my older years as they come so fast.I might be in his shoes.Maybe if are government would save some money instead of helping everyone else outside this country this would not be!

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
Oh right, I forgot. Conservatives who break all the dumb laws are unsung heroes. I break laws all the time, I talk on my cell phone when I drive, I speed, I've taken the catalytic converter off of cars I've owned and gotten rid of other emissions crap in lieu of more power, I buy fireworks and shoot them off on the 4th, I had my first beer when I was 16, I leave my truck idling for more than 3 minutes in the Wawa parking lot when I get coffee in the morning, I make the occasional illegal U-turn, I've used two way radios without an FCC license, I've worked jobs under the table, etc... However, if I ever get caught doing ANY of those things I'm not going to piss whine and moan like a freaking baby.

The law is meant to discourage people from hunting for the wrong reasons (poaching for antlers) plain and simple.

The hell it doesn't! What? Landowners are going to give the state property for WMAs for free!? Look at a map my friend-Collier's Mills, Greenwood Forest, Makepeace, Assumpink, etc...all 300,000+ acres paid for and maintained lock stock and barrel by you and me.

Politicians are going to stop sprawl...yeah...ok...
the big difference is that if you did you use your cell phone or other minor infraction you wouldnt make the front page reader and be made example of like its this big bust. im gonna guess your probably in law enforcement or have close family in it . i can tell. WOODJIN is right about the black and white. a law enforcement office should be able to judge the incident and make adjustments. this guy should be judged by his community and people that know him and just because the dumb law is black and white.there arent many trophy class deer so jacking them for money is a stupid idea so the law makes no cense. just check out a show called E-FORCE on the outdoor channels. the fish and game officers seldom give out a ticket and would rather issue stern warnings or point out what the violators did wrong.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
im gonna guess your probably in law enforcement or have close family in it . i can tell.

Well, my brother is working on a criminal justice degree but still has a year to go-does that count? By the way, could you stop with the "I know everything about you" statements? It's a little creepy.

this guy should be judged by his community and people that know him and not sent to the chair by the almighty lisa jackson

Why do you hate Lisa Jackson so much? I deal with her office on occasion-they seem like nice people? You win btw, I'm tired and can't really argue anymore.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Here is a little objective info. This is from the Title 23 of the NJ Statutes which is the long version of the game laws that are given out at the store when you buy your license.

You can only sell the hide and leg bones of a deer that was lawfully taken.
Here is the statute along with a list of animals and parts that you can sell:
http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=34776063&Depth=2&depth=2&expandheadings=on&headingswithhits=on&hitsperheading=on&infobase=statutes.nfo&record={974A}&softpage=Doc_Frame_PG42

Here is a scary law. You can't posses legally harvested deer or parts after June 1, of the year following the past hunting season without special permission.
http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=34776286&Depth=2&depth=2&expandheadings=on&headingswithhits=on&hitsperheading=on&infobase=statutes.nfo&record={9776}&softpage=Doc_Frame_PG42

And finally, the laws for deer only.
http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=34776286&Depth=2&depth=2&expandheadings=on&headingswithhits=on&hitsperheading=on&infobase=statutes.nfo&record={9783}&softpage=Doc_Frame_PG42

You have to keep the tag until the deer is eaten.
I keep all of mine forever.

I talked to a friend of mine today who knows Melvin Kemmerer and he gave me a little background.
(BTW Kemmerer is not an upstanding sportsman by any stretch.)
Kemmerer was allegedely set up by a person in Millville who was making writing pens with stag handles and selling them.
That guy got nailed and started singing and told F&W guys that he knew someone who wanted to unload a lot of antlers and dimed out Kemmerer.
I really don't know the guy but he has a colorful reputation and I would be surprised if the antlers were from legally taken deer.
His boat name on Delaware Bay is "Hog'em All" if that's any indication of character.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Here is a scary law. You can't posses legally harvested deer or parts after June 1, of the year following the past hunting season without special permission.

Now THAT sounds like a stupid law. What about the head and shoulder mounts that are on my wall as we speak? Some of them (my grandfather's) are going on 40 years old!

(BTW Kemmerer is not an upstanding sportsman by any stretch.) Kemmerer was allegedely set up by a person in Millville who was making writing pens with stag handles and selling them. That guy got nailed and started singing and told F&W guys that he knew someone who wanted to unload a lot of antlers and dimed out Kemmerer. I really don't know the guy but he has a colorful reputation and I would be surprised if the antlers were from legally taken deer. His boat name on Delaware Bay is "Hog'em All" if that's any indication of character.

So in other words this law took down exactly the kind of slimeball it was supposed to. I rest my case.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
The links I posted to the NJ Legislature Title 23 statutes apparently do not work.
Go to the NJ Legislature homepage and click on permanent statutes and review Title 23.
The NJ Legislature site is one of the worst I have seen for navigation.
Have fun.
Scott

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
The NJ Legislature site is one of the worst I have seen for navigation. Have fun.

Oh come on Scott, now you're not only asking that they do their jobs and make life better for us, but you want them to fix the website too!? Sheesh, I'm telling you...some folks just want it all... :D

On a more serious note, I think I was a little too fired up with regard to this thread. If I irritated anyone I'm sorry, I've been a little crabby lately which may have something to do with too much time behind a desk and too little time in the pines.

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
gee, my wife and i sometimed hiked in the nj pines with a hiking stick with a "Y" base of a deer antler on top of it (purchased over the internet, we both have them), i guess if we ran into a game warden in a bad mood we could have been in trouble ?

too many stupid laws in nj one was of the reasons we left, and the removal of too many rights

i hike up here by myself up in some desolite areas and a few years i had a serious problem with a mother bear and cub

now i have a permit to carry a firearm and i do when hiking by myself, it is also NOT illegal to open carry in pa except in a vehicle or in phila (without a ccw permit)

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
Well, my brother is working on a criminal justice degree but still has a year to go-does that count? By the way, could you stop with the "I know everything about you" statements? It's a little creepy.

Why do you hate Lisa Jackson so much? I deal with her office on occasion-they seem like nice people? You win btw, I'm tired and can't really argue anymore.
just a guess by the way you defend things. never said once" i know anything about you" so to me you wouldnt make a very good lawyer . go back and read . my feelings is this guy doesnt seem up and up but that for the courts to see if the antlers where legally harvested . if he is bad news then he should get whats coming but he was set up though bottom line. i still think antlers legally taken should be yours to do with as long as it doesnt impact the species.