Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Feb. 9, 2007

Elaine Makatura (609) 292-2994

DEP CONSERVATION OFFICERS CHARGE NEW JERSEY MAN
WITH SELLING WILDLIFE PARTS

(07/07) TRENTON - Undercover wildlife-conservation lawmen bagged an Atlantic County man on charges of peddling more than 200 white-tailed deer antlers including several trophy-class sets, Department of Environmental Protection Commissioner Lisa P. Jackson announced today.

Folsom Borough resident Melvin Kemmerer, 63, who stood to pocket about $1,000 for the antler collection, now faces three to five years in prison and up to $200,000 in fines for the illegal sale, transfer and possession of wildlife parts.

"There should be no doubt that we are serious about stopping crime against New Jersey's wildlife," Commissioner Jackson said. "Our Conservation Officers are out on the beat, and the public is helping us catch those who have no regard for our wildlife resources and the laws that protect them."

Kemmerer's arrest culminated a two-month investigation by Conservation Officers with the DEP's Division of Fish and Wildlife and agents from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Acting on a tip that Kemmerer was soliciting buyers for his antlers, a law enforcement officer contacted the suspect by telephone and arranged to purchase the deer parts. Lawmen allege Kemmerer agreed to sell the antlers for $10 a pound.

Immediately after Kemmerer exchanged the 100 pounds of antlers for cash, DEP Conservation Officers and federal agents took him into custody without incident at his home. Kemmerer has two previous convictions for violating New Jersey's wildlife laws, stemming from deer-hunting incidents in 1987 and 1997.

Residents concerned about wildlife crime can help DEP's Fish and Wildlife Conservation Officers apprehend violators by participating in Operation Game Thief. Information on the commercial exploitation of New Jersey's wildlife resources, pollution of wildlife habitat, poaching, illegal trapping, negligent use of firearms and other violations can be offered anonymously to the DEP's Division of Fish and Wildlife by calling Operation Game Thief's toll-free number (800) 222-0456.

For more information on Operation Game Thief the program, visit www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/ogt.htm

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You would think the man would learn from his previous problems. If he is released we will read about him again I bet.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
That seems like a lot of work for not a lot of money. 100 pounds of antlers? I don't know how many deer that needs, but it sounds like that would take a lot.

Anybody want to take bets on if he actually goes to jail?

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
That seems like a lot of work for not a lot of money. 100 pounds of antlers? I don't know how many deer that needs, but it sounds like that would take a lot.

Anybody want to take bets on if he actually goes to jail?

I know right! strapped for chash just pump gas at wawa at night, you could make the same amount in less time with less effort. they most likley will only fine him, probation and revoke his hunting privilages for life in NJ. It doesn't state how he got the antlers, legal harvests or poaching? In NJ you can't sell any antlers weather they were legally shot or not, so if you saw a set for sale at a yard sale, they are being illlegally sold.

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
Here's what we do;

Strap a set of the antlers to his head, dress him in some fresh brown carrharts, hang a white hanky out of his back pocket. Then, we send him loose on next years opening day of 6-day firearm season!:rofl:

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
that lisa jackson is so proud of herself. oh brother! i wonder how many man hours were wasted trying to dig dirt up on this guy. this is how i read into it although the person sounds shady so dont take me wrong. the person had deer antlers. SO WHAT! he is 63 and probably retired. his antler collection was probably spanning his whole life and he got sick of them and cleaned out his garage. in this state you are allowed to shoot like 10 bucks or more a year which to me is ridiculous but the state likes there permit money though. also many people go out and find shed antlers this time of year.to tell you the truth i never knew it was illegal to sell deer antlers but would check if i did. for the few dollars he would of got it sounds like he wasnt in business doing it obviously to get rich. if he had trophy antlers he probably could sell them to a taxidermist for way more money. i didnt read about any deer taken illegally. he had 2 other violations from years ago but we dont know what for. it could be something like not wearing hunter orange during the season or not buying a proper permit for the zone he was hunting. if you get a chance go look at the fish and game wildlife digest and see how many laws there are to follow. you need a lawyer to figure out the seasons. just once try to put your emotion aside and think outside the box. if he is jacking deer all the time out of season i say have fun in jail. if he selling legally collected deer deer antlers that he found or hunted i think he should be able to sell them.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
if he selling legally collected deer deer antlers that he found or hunted i think he should be able to sell them.

If he is he will have his day in court to prove that. That unfortunately does not remove what she said about him.

Guy

ChrisNJ

Explorer
Jan 31, 2006
Medford
I agree with foofoo, as antlers dont make good soup he has prolly been just tossing them into a box in the shed for the past 60 years and decided to get some gas money for them. Most likely buyer was going to make pens or knife handles out of them.

I know an aweful lot of hunters with boxes of antlers sitting in the garage. Hell I have a decent collection of antlers I have found wandering the woods, they do fall off and are replaced every year, if you look for them they are everywhere unless the rodents have eaten them for their calcium.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
if he selling legally collected deer deer antlers that he found or hunted i think he should be able to sell them.

Illegal is illegal no matter how you look at it. Maybe he is a nice guy who was just trying to make some cash with antlers he had lying around-its still illegal. Just like not wearing orange is illegal and not getting a proper permit is illegal. I'm sure that he will receive NO jailtime and that the fine will substantially lower than $200,000. We can't even put murderers in prison for extended lengths of time let alone people peddling animal parts. The game laws may be complicated, but FG & W has good reasons for what they do-they're your friend-not the enemy. If it wasn't for them (AND the license/stamp/permit fees) this state would be one giant suburban hellhole with every last tree demolished to make way for McMansions.

Oct 25, 2006
Illegal is illegal no matter how you look at it. Maybe he is a nice guy who was just trying to make some cash with antlers he had lying around-its still illegal. Just like not wearing orange is illegal and not getting a proper permit is illegal. I'm sure that he will receive NO jailtime and that the fine will substantially lower than $200,000. We can't even put murderers in prison for extended lengths of time let alone people peddling animal parts. The game laws may be complicated, but FG & W has good reasons for what they do-they're your friend-not the enemy. If it wasn't for them (AND the license/stamp/permit fees) this state would be one giant suburban hellhole with every last tree demolished to make way for McMansions.

:D You couldn't have said it any better on the game laws and the McMansions.

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
Illegal is illegal no matter how you look at it. Maybe he is a nice guy who was just trying to make some cash with antlers he had lying around-its still illegal. Just like not wearing orange is illegal and not getting a proper permit is illegal. I'm sure that he will receive NO jailtime and that the fine will substantially lower than $200,000
with thinking like this your a perfect new jerseyan. too many freeking laws in this state. this guy really needs to be hastled like this. he should be given a break. ive hunted for many years and never knew or suspected that it was illegal to sell your own antlers. i care to say there are probably not many states with that dumb law but im gonna check. next will be laws saying you cant collect acorns and sell them. its just lawmakers with nothing better to do. paying money for permits has nothing to do with stopping all the mc mansions. YOU AND I DO! by voting these dumb politicians out. there still building them havent you looked around. anyway if you didnt get my point that this old timer was made example of for selling some old memories. WHOOPY DOO!.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It does seem odd that you can't sell antlers. You can sell many other things that seem worse than that. But if he was taking them illegally, then he gets what he deserves. If not, he deserves an apology.

Guy

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
with thinking like this your a perfect new jerseyan. too many freeking laws in this state.

Oh right, I forgot. Conservatives who break all the dumb laws are unsung heroes. I break laws all the time, I talk on my cell phone when I drive, I speed, I've taken the catalytic converter off of cars I've owned and gotten rid of other emissions crap in lieu of more power, I buy fireworks and shoot them off on the 4th, I had my first beer when I was 16, I leave my truck idling for more than 3 minutes in the Wawa parking lot when I get coffee in the morning, I make the occasional illegal U-turn, I've used two way radios without an FCC license, I've worked jobs under the table, etc... However, if I ever get caught doing ANY of those things I'm not going to piss whine and moan like a freaking baby.

next will be laws saying you cant collect acorns and sell them. its just lawmakers with nothing better to do.

The law is meant to discourage people from hunting for the wrong reasons (poaching for antlers) plain and simple.

paying money for permits has nothing to do with stopping all the mc mansions.

The hell it doesn't! What? Landowners are going to give the state property for WMAs for free!? Look at a map my friend-Collier's Mills, Greenwood Forest, Makepeace, Assumpink, etc...all 300,000+ acres paid for and maintained lock stock and barrel by you and me.

YOU AND I DO! by voting these dumb politicians out. there still building them havent you looked around.

Politicians are going to stop sprawl...yeah...ok...