Naked man hiking.

Dog Daze Hiker

Aug 9, 2015
Wharton State Forest
OK, so I have been hiking on the Batona trail the past couple of days and yesterday I was setting up my hammock at the batona camp when I heard one of the pit privies doors open and I looked up to see a totally stark naked man walk out the door and turn to hike the trail toward apple pie hill. No shoes, no undies, not even a hat! Any of you members ever come across this before? Any of you actually this person?

Apparently this is happening a lot. Looks like several different people, sometimes including us, are doing this. And no this isn't unnatural although the laws state so. I always go barefoot (once you toughen your feet, it gets very easy). Most of the trails - stay on them and you won't get beat up - are soft sand so it's like walking on the beach. I guess people get beat up when they stray off trails.

Frankly, I'm not sure how I'd react seeing a naked man on the trails. Probably a wave, hello, maybe a little chat and move on. It's really no harm deep in the woods.

Dog Daze Hiker

Aug 9, 2015
Wharton State Forest
Yes, we have seen him and his tracks, especially on Mines Spung Road. No, I am not him. How come chicks don't do this?:(

I go barefoot a lot, so maybe you saw my footprints on Mines Spring Road. But I don't think you (thought you) saw me nude on that trail...probably someone else. But like I said on another post, it's not a big deal to me. However to others, I don't know. Deep in the woods, it seems like party time all the time back there. Beer bottles, campfires, tire tracks, sound of dirt bikes and 4 wheelers, whooping and hollering, and unfortunately, some trash.

I may have seen your vehicle drive by. I've seen a lot of dirt splattered vehicles, is yours one of those mud splattered SUVs? Maybe if I see you drive by in your ??? I'll give you a wave with my hands and bare feet next time, lol.

Dog Daze Hiker

Aug 9, 2015
Wharton State Forest
last year.

This series of posts should be plural (men instead of man).

I took a breath of liberation briefly around Mines Spung, but last year? I think in (2012?) I was hiking there and two trucks came down the trail but I jumped into the bushes a few hundred feet ahead of them. They stopped for a while but I changed back into my clothes quickly. I was completely surprised since there was no activity anywhere that time of the day. Needless to say, startling and somewhat embarrassing. More careful since. But I'm not that guy paddling or with the dog or at Forked River Mountain or etc etc.

I always go barefoot since it's real soft sand.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Why do you do it? BTW I don't have a problem with it. Kind of amusing, but a bit limp. Barefoot is good.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Like I said, feeling liberated. Not doing it anymore but the feet are still bare.
I read that bare feet is the way to go as long as it's not asphalt, concrete, hard rocks, stones and glass. Soft sand, grass, regular dirt.

Exactly. Liberating is the word. Throw in free, cool, and open too. I've done it a few times. Not many mind you, but there is nothing like it. Must have low humidity, hot temps, and white sand. You feel like you are getting away with something sacred that you should not have to hide from.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Exactly. Liberating is the word. Throw in free, cool, and open too. I've done it a few times. Not many mind you, but there is nothing like it. Must have low humidity, hot temps, and white sand. You feel like you are getting away with something sacred that you should not have to hide from.
Probably not the best outfit for bushwacking through the smilax!

Reactions: bobpbx