Need help picking a handheld GPS

fierodoug

Explorer
Jul 12, 2010
Browns Mills
Looking to get a handheld GPS(under $300 if possible) for explorering the pine barrens as me and the wife have really taken to exploring this year(with paper maps). I have never used any kind of GPS so I am totally clueless on how it works with loading maps and stuff. So any pointers you can give me would be great.
Thanx
Doug

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Everyone has their own preference for brands of handhelds. I personally prefer Garmin. Currently I own an Etrex Vista HCx. It has done me well. It is rugged and easy to use. The Vista was a little more expensive (around $300 when I got it) but you will find that there are cheaper versions out there such as the Legend. The original yellow Etrex does well, but not for what you would need it for. You could probably pick up the Legend for around $180.

Another option is the Garmin 60CSx. AFAIK, they aren't making them any more, but many stores such as REI still have them on sale and you could probably pick up one of those for about $200. They are pretty much the same as the Etrex but have a little bigger screen and an external antenna. The Etrex is still my personal favorite though.

Most come with one set of pre-loaded maps, usually topos. Some do have street maps so make sure the one you are buying has the type of map you are looking for. If you want both sets, the other will run you about $100 extra if you buy it in the store. There are maps available here, created by our very own Boyd that are AWESOME for exploring the pines.

Get yourself a unit and feel free to ask any questions once you do....

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
IMO, the one to get is the Oregon 450. Unfortunately you missed the big sale at REI where it was going for $250; several people from the site got them at that time. I haven't seen it that low since then, last time I checked Amazon it was $330. But Black Friday is coming, so keep your eyes out for sales.

It is compatible with all the free maps I've posted here: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/byuser/282/. Older models (such as the GPSMap 60csx and eTrex lines) can't handle these. Personally, I like Garmin, but there are a few other options. The DeLorme PN series is popular with some people. Then there's Magellan who makes the Triton and Explorist lines. We have one member here with Triton, and I have one that I rarely use. It's very hard to find anyone with a good word about Magellan support if you have a problem.

I would consider what kind of maps you want first, because the formats are proprietary and one brand cannot be used on a different manufacturer's GPS. I'm one of the mods at GPSReview.net, so (in my biased opinion :) ), that's a good place to learn more. Watch the Black Friday thread over there to see if you can find a sale: http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=9258&start=50

Happy exploring!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd turned me on the to Oregon 450 and when it was on sale for $200 and I purchased it. The ability to have aerial maps makes it worth every penny I paid for it. For $29 you can purchase from Garmin the key to allow you to download all the 2007 aerial maps you want and install them. The Oregon has a 1Gig storage and with an 8 Gig card you can hold a massive amount of maps. Unfortunately, it takes some time to get them downloaded and installed because at this moment they have limitations on the download size forcing you do download small sections at a time. Attached shows the maps I have downloaded so far. You can see in the map where I missed small sections between the maps I download. That is the one problem with the small map limitations.

My main complaint is that with the touch screen you have to remember to lock the GPS when walking through the woods. If anything touches it the screen changes and when you go to look at it some of your settings change.

And with Boyds free maps the experience in the pines is unparalleled. I say buy the Oregon 450. If you need help Boyd and I can give you that since the Oregon is unlike any other GPS. You make all of your major changes through your computer.

Guy

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 336

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Guy - that is pretty cool. Are you using the Mac version of Basecamp? How is performance with all of that imagery loaded? I finally pulled all of my BirdsEye out of Basecamp because it became unusable. There was just a major update to the Windows version and everybody is saying that it fixes this problem but I haven't had a chance to update yet. I've also heard that the Mac version is finally on par with the Windows version. Will also have to check that out, I'm a couple versions behind on the Mac.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy - that is pretty cool. Are you using the Mac version of Basecamp? How is performance with all of that imagery loaded? I finally pulled all of my BirdsEye out of Basecamp because it became unusable. There was just a major update to the Windows version and everybody is saying that it fixes this problem but I haven't had a chance to update yet. I've also heard that the Mac version is finally on par with the Windows version. Will also have to check that out, I'm a couple versions behind on the Mac.

I just downloaded a few minutes ago the new Mac version of Basecamp. I have not launched it yet. I have been using the Mac version and it runs slow when all of those maps are in it. But it does work so I have not had any major problems.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Tis the season to buy stuff :)

If anyone is looking for a new digital camera, there are some fantastic buys out there, especially for Nikon fans. With their latest camera announcements, some of their current models are going for up to half price off. I just ordered a D90 for about 40% off.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I purchased an 8 GIG SD card at Best Buy tonight on sale for $24. The 4 GIG is still going for $34.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If anyone wants a GPS you should really consider purchasing it. Remember, you will want the $29 BirdsEye subscription, you will want to buy a screen protector, and you will want to buy an 8GB or a 4GB card. You can get all them excluding the GPS for about $75. I found that with the aerials I don't need to buy any Garmin software if you use the GPS just for woods use. You may think differently though.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is a good deal. Even though I would prefer to also have the 1995 aerials, for most users the 2007 are great. Fo one year you can download all you want and have the images forever.

Guy