Need help picking a handheld GPS

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes, and I have them in mine. When I am in that area they display when zoomed in which is exactly what I want to happen. It would be nice it Garmin would give us a way to switch between them.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
In the EU they have released something called "BirdsEye Select" which offers different options, such as topo maps from government agencies. So perhaps at some point they will offer other products in the US also (like USGS topo's). But I suspect the 1995 aerials might be a little too exotic for most people to appreciate.... remember, I couldn't even understand why you wanted them until you showed me an example. :)

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
my parents usually get me a gift card for christmas I'm gonna hint REI gift card for this year lol. I may be asking to meet up with you for some guidance if I get it. Sounds alot more complicated than my old csx. I still wish that it didn't get stolen:mad:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Personally I'm sold on my Magellan Triton 500.It wasn't always that way.It was a nasty little beast when I first got it.A lot of unresolved issues with Vantage Point,the software that lets it communicate with the computer but all that has been fixed now.The pros are it is compatible with National Geographic TOPO maps which are the real deal topo maps just like the paper ones put out by the USGS.These can be imported in all scales and all sizes onto the gps.I can also make aerials from NJGIN 2007 maps which i now have the entire pine barrens on an 8 gig card and love em and I can also make maps from Google Earth using the Googl;e nEarth downloader and converting images to rmp files in the free Triton RMP program.This program will take any image and convert it into a map once you calibrate it and then it's ready for the gps.Another plus is this GPS will not read out your accuracy and distance from object to the foot which is a big help in stone hunting or even geocaching if thats you thring.It commonly has accuracy around 16 ft but always under 30 ft.It also now has an electronic compass which really helps hold a bearing.I used to have to hold the gps in one hand and an orienteering compass in the other on cludy days to keep on track better and all the necassary readouts are on the compass page too.The beast is also waterproof.I know this because i dropped mine in nescohague creek and took five minutes feeling under water to find it and when I brought it up it was still reading satellites!Now for the cons.The screen is too small,I'd like one twice this size which would of course increase the size of the gps.It is hard to see in direct sunlight but thats probably common on all models.Also magellans support is almost non existent.I did have a problem once and managed to get a very nice fellow who tried for weeks to try and help me resolve a problem but he finally gave up and quit replying.Mostly you can't get a hold of anyone there at all and the real bummer is that this is my second triton.the first one i dropped and broke the on off button.I wanted to send it in the get it fixed and once they found out it was off warranty they wouldn't even talk to me.I wanted it fixed and offered to pay but if it's off warranty it's basically disposable,they won't touch it.That would have probably been considered abuse anyway and they wouldn't have fixed it anyway.Apparently they don't do repairs just replacements for defective units.All in all with real usgs topos and 2007 aerials it is a little stone finding beast along with some tricks of the trade taught me by the master:)
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Actually I think the Oregon and Dakota series are easier to use than the 60csx. You just push buttons on the screen. :)

It is nice to use but depending on what you want to do it can require quite a few screen touches to accomplish.

Another plus is this GPS will not read out your accuracy and distance from object to the foot which is a big help in stone hunting or even geocaching if thats you thring.

I liked the fact yours displays in feet all the way up to 1000 feet. Garmin stops at 528 which is too short for me. I would prefer it displayed even higher than 1000 which would greatly help me find things easier. They at least should give us the option to choose feet or tenths of miles.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
My biggest use for it would be geocaching, second mapping

Go for the 450 Dave. It has stuff built into it for geocaching. Once you understand how the map stuff works, it's easy as can be.

From Garmin's site.

"Oregon 450 supports Geocaching.com GPX files for downloading geocaches and details straight to your unit. By going paperless, you're not only helping the environment but also improving efficiency. Oregon stores and displays key information, including location, terrain, difficulty, hints and descriptions, which means no more manually entering coordinates and paper print outs! Simply upload the GPX file to your unit and start hunting for caches. Show off photos of your excursions with Oregon’s picture viewer."

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Wait for another sale. There will be one for sure. If it is $250 or less go for it.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
REI has seasonal sales and sometimes they include GPS. On Black Friday they had the DeLorme PN 60 and a Garmin eTrex on sale. But the Labor Day Sale is when they traditionally have offered the Oregon. This year it was the Oregon 450 for $250, last year it was the Oregon 300 for $250. It's a long wait until next Labor Day. :)

Just now looked and the Oregon 450 is going for $270 at Amazon. Not a bad price.

Amazon's prices can swing pretty substantially from day to day. Here's a link to what I just found: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Oregon...JX4W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291658903&sr=8-1