Need some info for a book

davedonovan

New Member
Apr 15, 2006
2
0
Hi everyone. I need some help regarding the Pine Barrens. Does anybody know approximately how many people go into the pine barrens every year and are never heard from again? It's a hard answer to find on the internet. If published, I will thank you in the book!

Thanks,
Dave
 

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
24,518
6,779
Stu said:
All of them.


Good one Stu :)

I think you will find the answer is none. My name is Guy Thompson for your book :)

Guy
 

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
24,518
6,779
Who ??????????

Are you trying to take my book credit from me :)

Guy
 

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
7,551
1,617
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
That would be a really hard number to judge with any amount of accuracy.

What would be far more interesting to know would be the number of bodies that get discovered. In talking with some rangers back in the day, it's a fairly common thing for them to find. Suicides, mostly.
 

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
8,599
2,129
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
bruset said:
What would be far more interesting to know would be the number of bodies that get discovered.

I remember reading a newspaper story (maybe) 10 years ago about a dismembered body they found dumped beside Rt 679 not far from New Gretna. Does anyone else remember that, and was it ever solved?
 

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
4,300
280
Near Mt. Misery
I think in '94, they found a body(female) right where the wading river crosses 563. I remember because it was within a week of when I canoed it myself and the canoe livery guy, Clem was his name, was telling me about it. I can't remember if she was beheaded or not. I remember reading an article on it also. Could that be the same that you are referring to?

Either way, on the Harrisville get together we had we were talking to the rangers at Martha and one of them gave us an incredible number of bodies found. Almost in the triple digits I think. I think he was saying that was within the year. Alot of suicides and dumps by some skin head group, and Pagens. Do you remember how many he said Ben, a bunch of us were there. I can't remember. I remember thinkin the number seemed too high. Considering how often I am in the woods and I have yet to find a body.

Jeff
 

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
381
18
Estelline, SD
davedonovan said:
Hi everyone. I need some help regarding the Pine Barrens. Does anybody know approximately how many people go into the pine barrens every year and are never heard from again? It's a hard answer to find on the internet. If published, I will thank you in the book!

Thanks,
Dave

Oh yeah; I believe that figure has been pretty well settled upon by demographic statisticians of great repute as 13.2 per year plus-or-minus 13.1 (standard deviation from the mean), but then there are those rural sociologists who decry such figures since the data is clearly non-parametric on a year-to-year basis. But on the other hand, it might be 8.

I'm sorry. This question was probably put to us in total seriousness. I'm just a little short of sleep and prone to flights of sarcastic fancy when sleep-deprived.

Nite all...
Dave
 

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
24,518
6,779
kingofthepines said:
You can poke around here and find some interesting cases.

Thanks for this. Most of the Burlington County ones were found in the area we travel in out there. Jessica is always thinking we will find someone one day.

Guy
 

RMICKLE

Scout
Oct 3, 2005
86
0
Carson City, NV
bruset said:
That would be a really hard number to judge with any amount of accuracy.

What would be far more interesting to know would be the number of bodies that get discovered. In talking with some rangers back in the day, it's a fairly common thing for them to find. Suicides, mostly.
About 10 years ago a Medford women and her friend killed her husband/boyfriend after bailing him out of jail and dumped his body off of Route 206 south of Atsion. The body was found by hunters.
 

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
378
1
Florida
Lost Brother

My brother Woody got lost in the pines, near Zimmies Lake, near Weed Lake.Just outside of Medford, this side of Indian Mills. My friend Tom and I looked a long time for him. My name is Bert Snerdsfoot, for your book. Oh, I'm sorry, the State Police found him, I think. Yeah, they did. Maybe.
 

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
778
14
49
Berlin Twp
Furball1 said:
My brother Woody got lost in the pines, near Zimmies Lake, near Weed Lake.Just outside of Medford, this side of Indian Mills. My friend Tom and I looked a long time for him. My name is Bert Snerdsfoot, for your book. Oh, I'm sorry, the State Police found him, I think. Yeah, they did. Maybe.
Well did they or didn't they?!?
What side of Indian Mills?!?
@%&*%$#^*
I think you spent a little too much time at Weed Lake dude
 
Top