Sep 17, 2002
It must have been the second post that did him in :D

Guy

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Furball I'm glad you found him.

If your post was serious then I apologize for my rant.
It seemed a little silly that's all, no offense intended, dude.
not that there's anything wrong with that.

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Stokes Rd. & Oak Shade Rd.

If you go to Google Earth, 39 degrees 48' 25.31" N and 74 degrees 46' 18.79" W , you will see a lake--back in 1974 there were NO houses anywhere near it---there was a large beaver dam (20 ft X 8-10 ft) at the base of the lake(this is now an artificial berm) and upstream we would often see river otters, beaver cuttings everywhere. It was secluded and accessed by only a dirt road off of Stokes Road. We were fishing, and my brother and my buddy's brother decided they wanted to take a stroll---his brother came back, but we looked for my brother for hours into the night. Someone spotted him on a road by himself, and gave him a lift to the State Police near Red Lion Circle. It was PITCH BLACK back there, and I was very upset--wew, but glad to find him. If you follow downstream there's another impoundment we called Weed Lake because in the summer time it got choked up with weeds (water algae, etc)---but it was a GREAT bass lake. A short drive from there is Indian Mills. I don't know where the moniker "Zimmie's Lake" originated, but Tom M knows (one of the posters on this site). Weed lake is off limits now--private property--Zimmie's lake I'm not sure, but I think you can access it---it was a good pickerel lake. No apology necessary--I get goofy on this site sometimes.

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Medford

Yes, an escape to a place frozen in time---now just a memory frozen in my mind---wish there was a way to cut and paste some memories to a DVD to share with younger generations. Sighhhhhh....

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Zimmies memories

Hey Furball, wow, lots of memories from time spent at Zimmies. How can I forget the mounting panic as it got dark and your brother was lost. Or a somewhat funnier story, the time I was there by myself during the week (not working, what a bum), and I was carrying my boat on one shoulder and my tackle box, fishing rod and anything else I could grab (didn't want to make 2 trips to the car). I started to cross the beaver dam and almost stepped on the biggest snake I've ever seen! Needless to say I tried to jump, dropped the tackle box, fishing rod, boat and fell down the beaver dam , landing in the mud. Of course, the boat landed safely in the lake where the wind proceeded to blow it away. It took a couple of hours for the boat to reach shore. I still laugh remembering that.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
long-a-coming said:
Medford in '74 sounds really nice.

<Sigh> Yes, I've heard the stories and wish I could also go back in time. But after living in the Medford area for 12 years I've given up. I just moved to a place in Atlantic County with 10 acres of woods bordering on a WMA with my own stream and plenty of solitude. I'm sure development will gradually encroach here (and everywhere in NJ), but I'd say I'm about 40 years behind where Medford is today :)