Netflix reaches deal with Comcast

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
NEW YORK (AP) - February 23, 2014 (WPVI) -- Netflix has reached a deal with Comcast to ensure that its TV shows and movies are streamed smoothly to households, the first deal the online video streaming service has reached with an internet service provider.
The two companies said in a joint statement Sunday they're establishing a more direct connection to provide a better service to customers that will also allow for future growth in Netflix traffic. The companies say the arrangement is already giving customers a better experience.
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/entertainment&id=9442338

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I don't think the Times Warner purchase is approved yet. By the way, got an advertisement in the mail for the DISH. Looked pretty darn good, but then in an obscure location in the 3 page letter it says "$299 activation fee may be required" and $10 month equipment rental.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/comcast-filings-regulators-expected-end-230213032.html

Comcast is targeting the end of March to submit its application to the FCC, spokeswoman Sena Fitzmaurice said. Companies usually have 30 business days to file with the FCC after a deal's announcement.

Around the same time, Comcast will also submit documents asking antitrust regulators for approval, she said. The FTC and Justice Department will then determine which agency will take the lead on the review.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
..."Comcast, which pledged upfront to several concessions that federal regulators were likely to request, has maintained that customers will benefit from the merger as services and technology improve......in the broadband space and in the video space, we're not depriving a single consumer in America of a choice that he or she has today," Cohen told reporters after the deal was announced last week."

(as long as you pay dearly for it. And we'll make that happen by sucking you into double, triple, and quadruple plans, and then jack the price up when you are not looking)

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Yep, Comcast will probably be buying them soon. Time Warner just bit the dust last week.

No, I meant Verizon inking the deal with Cogent. It seems like traffic from my house to this site has been better for the last few weeks.

I would never want Comcast to buy Verizon. My FiOS service is a billion times better than the cable modems I've had from Comcast.

Arey

Scout
Oct 17, 2007
Atl. Co. near the ocean
The So. Jersey town I live in is stuck with Comcast. Verizon will not be extending FIOS to where I am. So, they could at least stop sticking ads in my Verizon bill telling me how much I'm missing by not having FIOS.