New Article - Forked River Mountains

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
According to Beck, it was there. But Boyer doesn't mention it in "Early Forges and Furnaces."

Beck claims that the Factory Branch was named because of the Iron "factory." Since Stuyvesant seemed to have his hands involved in a ton of industries (deer, wine, etc.) why not a furnace?

I have to look over the topo maps and see if there is anything that could give a clue as to where it was located.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well done Ben. It made me feel like I was there!

Guy

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
Ben,

Great article!!!

I was flipping through Beck's boog again when I started reading (again) the story of the Forked River Mountains. Specifically, Aserdaten. I wish we could've seen those paintings by Ted or Ned Knox. I believe he was referred to as the Bicycling Artist.

Looking closely, it appears that one if his paintings is that of the Harrisville plant.

I also couldn't refrain from laughing as Beck was interviewing I believe Estlow and he kept switching conversations and Beck replies "What about Aserdaten" several times :lol:

I don't think Estlow was purposely avoiding the question. He just kept going in different directions telling his story

Ken

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
What I don't understand is why everyone avoided the Aserdaten issue, when there really wasn't a problem there. Asa Dayton died of natural causes. The interesting thing would be to find where he was buried.

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
bruset said:
What I don't understand is why everyone avoided the Aserdaten issue, when there really wasn't a problem there. Asa Dayton died of natural causes. The interesting thing would be to find where he was buried.

Ben, my take is that when Knox was trying to get the information from the locals, it appeared that he was meeting resistance because of all the damage those deer did to the neighbor's gardens. Perhaps, they wanted to forget what happened.

Knox infomed Beck several times to "let it go" Perhaps, Knox himself was sensing trouble although he continued trying to get the details from Beck.

Yes, finding out where he was buried would be something but that's somthing that even Knox nor Beck could do even then. I would like to see those paintings.

Ken

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
The deer were kept in a pen, not allowed to roam freely.

And besides, the deer in the pen can't do any more damage than the deer that lived in the woods.

Finally the owner of the deer, Rutherford Stuyvesant, owned all of the land in that area at that time. Anyone who lived there worked for him. I don't think they'd be too eager to do anything to hurt the deer of their caretaker.

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
bruset said:
The deer were kept in a pen, not allowed to roam freely.

And besides, the deer in the pen can't do any more damage than the deer that lived in the woods.

Finally the owner of the deer, Rutherford Stuyvesant, owned all of the land in that area at that time. Anyone who lived there worked for him. I don't think they'd be too eager to do anything to hurt the deer of their caretaker.

Ben,

I believe the article stated that the deer got lose from the pen and did reck havoc on neighbors farms.