New Car or Nearly New Car

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Hi Bob,

Yes, the vehicle was available at the time you made the appointment. Unfortunately, a customer came into the store Saturday afternoon and decided to purchase the vehicle on spot. We do not hold any vehicles for any customers, as we are first come first serve.
I wonder if they practiced some unethical tactics on this entire thing? Seems odd to me.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I wonder if they practiced some unethical tactics on this entire thing? Seems odd to me.
I agree, and in fact I downloaded the carfax they had, and maybe in a couple weeks I'll find someone with a carfax account and see just when they really sold it. And what really bothers me is I could not find their policy of 'first come, first served'. And even if it is in some obscure place on their website, wouldn't it be prudent of them to point it out when they made the appointment?

Reactions: this_is_nascar

slingblade

Scout
Sep 15, 2016
MakePeace Lake NJ
I agree, and in fact I downloaded the carfax they had, and maybe in a couple weeks I'll find someone with a carfax account and see just when they really sold it. And what really bothers me is I could not find their policy of 'first come, first served'. And even if it is in some obscure place on their website, wouldn't it be prudent of them to point it out when they made the appointment?
FWIW Several years ago, two salespeople started arguing (in another office but still within earshot) when I was buying a car. Turns out the other salesperson promised the car to someone else. Sales manager decided in my favor. The salesperson I was dealing with said it was because I was multiple repeat customer, had an in-demand trade and a large deposit ready, and most important, the other salesperson did not mark the car as sold.

Reactions: bobpbx

RJG

Scout
Nov 19, 2023
Sea Isle City, NJ
I usually replace my truck every 4-5 years. My Tacoma is now 6 years old. I keep thinking the supply chain issue is going to be resolved and soon I’ll be able to walk into a car dealership two days before the end of the month and beat them down to a rock bottom price like I always have in the past. If anything, the availability of the Toyota Tacoma Access Cab I want is getting worse. I found a dealership in DE that has two on the way. They will of course sell them for full retail price plus add another $1,500 -$2,000 of highly inflated dealer installed options. Toyota is offering 3.99% interest on car loans right now and, because of the market, I can probably sell the Tacoma I’m driving now for 18K. It might be time to throw up the white flag and buy the new one at retail price.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I usually replace my truck every 4-5 years. My Tacoma is now 6 years old. I keep thinking the supply chain issue is going to be resolved and soon I’ll be able to walk into a car dealership two days before the end of the month and beat them down to a rock bottom price like I always have in the past. If anything, the availability of the Toyota Tacoma Access Cab I want is getting worse. I found a dealership in DE that has two on the way. They will of course sell them for full retail price plus add another $1,500 -$2,000 of highly inflated dealer installed options. Toyota is offering 3.99% interest on car loans right now and, because of the market, I can probably sell the Tacoma I’m driving now for 18K. It might be time to throw up the white flag and buy the new one at retail price.
Yes, I know your dilemna. It's hard to get what you want. I wanted the Avalon because I want a smooth, quiet car with V6 power, but I did not want to seem pretentious about it. But they discontinued the Avalon because so many SUV's are what Americans want. That was a dumb move I think. Now it's hard to get a good avalon with low mileage. So, I visited a lexus dealer, because the Toyota Solara spoiled me. But he only had a few, and told me that they only get what the manufacturer sends. I was shocked at that. I'm at the point where; screw it...I'll order exactly what I want despite the cost.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I feel ya'. The exact reason(s) I'll hold onto my 2007 Tacoma TRD Off-Road with 200k miles for a bit longer. To be honest, I don't think I'll ever be able to afford another fully loaded Taco.

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
My Super White Tacoma keeps shedding paint around the window frames. They recalled 2016 and up models but not my 2015 made at the same plant in Mexico. I couldn't sell mine if I wanted to.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
My Super White Tacoma keeps shedding paint around the window frames. They recalled 2016 and up models but not my 2015 made at the same plant in Mexico. I couldn't sell mine if I wanted to.
That's an odd defect. My 2010 Camry has the tacky dashboard in the summer. Thing is, it didn't start until after 10 years of age.

RJG

Scout
Nov 19, 2023
Sea Isle City, NJ
I feel ya'. The exact reason(s) I'll hold onto my 2007 Tacoma TRD Off-Road with 200k miles for a bit longer. To be honest, I don't think I'll ever be able to afford another fully loaded Taco.
I put 283,000 miles on my 2008 Tacoma and it had no major problems when I sold it. I love my 2017 Tacoma. My only complaint is the gas mileage. I’m averaging around 19 miles per gallon. My 2008 Tacoma was averaging 24 mpg.

Reactions: bobpbx

RJG

Scout
Nov 19, 2023
Sea Isle City, NJ
Toyota is now selling a pickup truck for $13,000! Granted, it’s not the sexiest truck on the road. Of course you’ll have to move to Thailand to buy one since it’s not available for sale in the US.
IMG_0306.jpeg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I can't believe this. I was alerted to this vehicle being newly displayed for sale up in the center of the state at a generic used car lot. First I looked at the Carfax they had up on their site. The last photo is what I got when I did a google search with the VIN. Thing is, CARFAX will honor nothing if it was not reported to a DMV. Although I dislike new car dealers, they would never do this and ruin their rep. The vins are an exact match, but I decided to not make it public.

1703724731369.png

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I didn’t think anyone but me kept a vehicle for 10yrs or longer
I had my 2010 Camry for the last 12 years. I paid $17,000 for it in 2012 with 17,000 miles on it. It never let me down, not even once. Before that I had a 1991 Camry I bought used in 1996(?) and had that one for many years, but my memory on that one is failing.

Last edited:

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I had my 2010 Camry for the last 12 years. I paid $17,000 for it in 2012 with 17,000 miles on it. It never let me down, not even once. Before that I had a 1991 Camry I bought used in 1996(?) and had that one for many years, but my memory on that one is failing.

I bought a used VW Beetle once and it had over 300,000 miles on it when I finally gave it away, and most of that was NYC driving too. It still ran like new but rust destroyed it. I never changed the trans. oil and the trans. was like new. I never changed the engine oil either, just replaced the oil that dripped out with Mobil 1 (great stuff).

My '97 Ford F150 had 332,000 miles on it and also ran like new, except for a bit of a problem starting it up again when it was hot. I changed the Mobil 1 engine on it at 25,000 mile intervals. I was going to try for a million miles but they were selling new trucks at such a good price in 2009 so I traded it in.

In 1991 I bought 3 new cars. My first, a Honda Civic ($5,000) was stolen and then recovered but messed up, so my crazy car mechanic friend fixed it so it was totaled. Then I bought another one of the same ($5,600) but then a hearse of all things went skidding on the ice and crashed into it and totaled it, at which point I decided that Honda Civic hatchbacks, good as they were, were a bad omen for me. Next a Nissan pickup ($7,000) which I took out west. I used to price them by phone. It was simple for me as I had no trade in and wanted the stripped down model. Once after filling out all the paperwork for 2 hours the dealer did the I have to talk to my manager gag and came back with a higher price. Without saying a word I took the paperwork and tore it up and walked fast out the door. Without saying a word he ran after me and rewrote the original paperwork that his boss "wouldn't approve". Car salesmen ya gotta love em!

2 1/2 years ago my '09 pickup engine blew up at 232,000 miles. New cars were very scarce then. I went to look at a Toyota. The dealer was trying every stupid trick there was - nitrogen tires, pinstriping, and "desert undercoating". He said they come from the factory like that and couldn't take them off.

I used to know some honest car mechanics in NYC (hard to believe!), and I knew one here in Tucson too, but he recently closed his shop. I was friendly with the service manager at the big Ford place here, but he's gone now too. I have the 100.000 mile warranty anyway, and a tip on that: don't buy the extended warranty from the dealer that sells u the car. They'll give u the hard sell on some brand x warranty. Get the manufacturer's extended warranty (Ford in my case), if u want one, and u can shop around all over the country to get the best price on it. It works the same no matter where u bought it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I have the 100.000 mile warranty anyway, and a tip on that: don't buy the extended warranty from the dealer that sells u the car. They'll give u the hard sell on some brand x warranty. Get the manufacturer's extended warranty (Ford in my case), if u want one, and u can shop around all over the country to get the best price on it. It works the same no matter where u bought it.
The invoice prep/finance guy only offered me the extra warranty because his job demanded that, and he did not argue a bit when I declined. No matter how many times you go over the advice about buying a new car, it's still stressful. I ended up not getting as much for my camry trade in as I wanted, but I didn't have to suffer or consider the other tricks like nitrogen in the tires, or dealer prep, or other nonsense. I was basically satisfied with the price. He was too, because it was 2 days before New Years. I got a $1,000 dealer deduction, and took that instead of arguing. I drove away happy, because I really wanted it.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
By the way, I did have a lemon in my life; a lime green, used Volkswagon Dasher. What was I thinking?

But green VW's are good. That great VW "Super Beetle" i mentioned above was dark green. Good camouflage in the NJPB.