New Chigger Remedy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I went out into Bear Swamp with a friend a couple days ago.Walked some real chiggery looking old roads.I had run out of Peremethrin and he said not to worry He had spray.When i get to his house I said wheres the spray? he handed me a can of House and garden RAID.I have a pic of the can but for some reason the upload a file button is not working for me.I used it on my clothes since thats all I had.He said his dad uses it and He is a big game hunter from way back so I figgered He must know.I did not get a single chigger.Luck or good stuff? Will be trying it again,luck won't hold out.Good spray will.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I use that for bugs around the house like ants and strange creatures that creep out when I split firewood. There is no way that I would spray it on my clothes. The can clearly says "Harmful if absorbed through the skin. Avoid contact with skin, eyes and clothing".

BTW, I just went to Dick's Sporting Goods at Union Lake Crossing in Millville and they were all out of permethrin. :(

Ben mentioned that he had disabled the file upload feature recently because a local newspaper was threatening NJPB with legal action over some copyrighted material that a member posted here.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I was out running some errands just now and stopped by the Walmart at the Hamilton Mall and couldn't find it in the camping dept where it usually is. Maybe it has been moved somewhere else, didn't look very hard. Their website says it is in stock at all the stores in my area though http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sawyer-Products-Premium-Insect-Repellent-for-Clothing-and-Gear/19887389

Really, I am not happy with their products, both the pump and aerosol cans make a huge mess. Just finished two bottles of the pump spray kind and both of them were defective. Put it into a plant spray bottle and that sort of worked, but the problem is that it seems too viscous to spray well. I wish they still had the old "permanone" brand, that always worked fine for me.

I started another thread on this topic last year though, and someone (dogg?) suggested a brand that REI sells. Will have to give that a try.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
If you are in desperate need see the link. I get most of my outdoor stuff from them, store is up north on Rt 17. Used to be Morsan's in New Brunswick many moons ago. Still use my wall tent I bought from them in 1969, just like the one in the picture :D

http://www.campmor.com/Product___81336

tent.jpg

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
This is what I use, dilute 1.5 oz to 32 oz. of water.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/martins-permethrin-10-p-2124.html

" For use on large animals, cattle, including lactating dairy cows, horses, swine, poultry, sheep and dogs. See label for complete listing. Both indoor and outdoor use. Lawns, Cattle Barns, Swine Houses, Milk Rooms, Kennels, Poultry Houses, Horse Barns, Dairies, Milking Parlors, Feed Lots, Stables, Paddocks."

That should cover just about everybody on this site :D

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Well, Raid will certainly do it. There is a reason pyrethroids are not labeled for application to the skin though. Sheesh.

I sometimes use Repel-X for horses on my pants and socks though.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Just hit the woods unexpectedly.Went over to a friends house to shoot the breeze and see if he would take some of my brain tanned deer skins and make me a buckskin shirt and he asid sure now lets go Bolete hunting out to Clear Run..So here I am in shorts and sneakers walking down roads knee high in chigger grass.He pulls out the RAID again and said here.I sprayed the socks and sneakers but was in grass knee high.Got not one chigger.Luck? Or is this stuff so good it works at a distance? from sock tops to knees is about a foot away.Hold on a minute,having a convulsive moment.

Reactions: Sue Gremlin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
update: yesterday I think I actually got one bite o my right ankle and one on my top left foot but not sure.can't find a bite but have two spots that itch pretty bad.Might just have b3een grass in my sneaker?

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
I use that for bugs around the house like ants and strange creatures that creep out when I split firewood. There is no way that I would spray it on my clothes. The can clearly says "Harmful if absorbed through the skin. Avoid contact with skin, eyes and clothing".

BTW, I just went to Dick's Sporting Goods at Union Lake Crossing in Millville and they were all out of permethrin. :(

Ben mentioned that he had disabled the file upload feature recently because a local newspaper was threatening NJPB with legal action over some copyrighted material that a member posted here.

Boyd, as long as you don't iron your clothing while you're wearing it, you'll be fine.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Use whatever you like, but I'm not going to do it. If you are spraying it on your clothes while you're wearing them, that is even worse, some will certainly get on your hands and some will soak through. Even with permethrin you should never spray it while you are wearing the clothes and you need to allow several hours for it to dry. I'm not a weekend warrior - I'm out in the woods every day. I have enough concerns about using insecticides as they were intended, am not going to use them in ways the label specifically forbids.

FWIW, I got a few cans of the aerosol Sawyer's Permethrin at another Dick's Sporting Goods. It worked fine without the excessive dripping I experienced in the past. So I am all stocked up for another year now. :)

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
My first exposure to Peremethrin was in Desert Storm.They passed it out and said it was for mosquitoes.I never saw a mosquito the whole time I was there except a few along the Gulf when we first got there.I suppose this is what the Malaria pills were for most of us including me refused to take.I kept the stuff,used it a few times for flies right on my skin,no directions with it saying not to.I suffered no effects.I don't do this now just like I no longer ride my bike through DDT sprays but I often hit thew woods unexpectedly and opportunity knocks and don't have time for the hours long drying process,working shift work has taken away any scheduling or orderly process to my life anyway so i just wing it.Something tells me I"ll be one of the 100% of folks that drop dead eventually anyway.Hey,won't have to work shift work anymore:)

Reactions: Boyd