New fire roads Warren Grove

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
There are other lands that could be used to train.

The marvels of the plains can be left for all of us to enjoy without the planes or new carved roads.

Yes I know the pines need to burn. Each section could be given its turn.

Each day I walk these roads always something new I have learned.

Hiked the plowed roads today. Other then for access for vehicles, I cannot figure out how it will prevent fires from spreading from one section to the next.

Lot's of wind and rain in the plains rights now. Love to see how some roads turn into a stream and puddles form in some places.

It's good to know that even if we disagree on the range and fire control. We can all agree there is a special feeling we all experience when in the pines.

Anyway, perhaps a joint day trip to this area we should all take before winter.

Maybe a get together at my place for a picnic too.

professor yahaak

Oct 22, 2008
They didn't help because the planes that practice there are from must further south near or at Virginia. This part of the country is very vulnerable and we need practice area's such as Warren Grove. With those planes in the area almost very day, we have a much better chance of them being here when something happens.

Guy

I agree. Keep 'em close by. Even before 9-11 I liked having them around. Now, years later, they do offer a sense of added security. I may only think this way though because there is probably not a day that goes by that I don't imagine being attacked again. Was way too close to it when I did happen.

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Also widened......

A path that goes north from range road, then west onto old simms place road.

Area is just north of the wetlands behind the pond and behind the 99 cent plastic bombing range signs.

Except on Old Simms place road the area flatened is opposite the range side of the road.

I wonder what money trail from Feds to NJ looks like.

Anyone see a copy of the fire plan sent to Trenton?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
What they should do is invest in some sort of system with lasers or some other simulated ordinance drops. That way they could target practice without having to use live ammo. Seems like that would be the best of both worlds.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I hope they keep setting the woods on fire......wish they would drop a flare up by bamber too....that area off mule road could use a good burn, drop a flare down by by the mullica too why were at it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I went stone searching today and was stopped dead about 1 mile early by the bombing range gate on Allen's Road. If you don't know where that is, this point is just to the right of the location.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.685686&lng=-74.444062&z=18&type=k&gpx=

So we headed over to the bombing range and right at the parking area we found one of the cuts they made. It really is nothing much since the woods there were burned pretty good anyway. This view is looking from the parking area towards the Reevestown Cemetery area.

IMG_1240.JPG

And right at the top of the hill on the road they have cut some rudimentary paths.

IMG_1242.JPG

IMG_1243.JPG

Then we met up with Ben and did some exploring.

Guy

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
I wonder if some better fire protection, clearing etc, has been set up on the range itself? Perhaps someone manning more then one small pick up truck !

Certainly the plowing of these roads looks horrible at first glance to those of us who hike there frequently.

Will will soon see the 100 foot wide road that will be opened parallel to rt 72.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Guy, the man who ordered that chop-job shown in the photos is a stupid idiot. Did PBX, or did PBX not walk 5 miles through the woods and see the open places that fire jumped? No fire truck, or bulldozer, or ditch-witch, or line of smokeaters is going to stop a pine plains fire on a dry windy day. It will do what it will.

Do you remember the movie someone posted on this site that had that fire truck close to the fire? They did not fight it, they got the hell out of there quickly.

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Originally Posted by freerider
I wonder if some better fire protection, clearing etc, has been set up on the range itself? Perhaps someone manning more then one small pick up truck !
I hate to disappoint, but Warren Grove is better managed for fire than any other state owned land."

Hmmm!

During bombing activites when the bombing was occurring fires begin on the range a small pick up owned by the base respond to extinguish several fires which occurred somewhat near the target range.

I see what is occuring in my viewed destroying some pristine areas by plowing them flat.

Regardless of DEP or Pinelands Commission approval. I think there is a better way and what I see I feel is a knee jerk reaction and the public need to know what the plan is for the surrounding area.

I also would like for us to all know. Exactly what steps have been taken on the range to reduce the risk of a wild fire.

Will there be trucks stationed outside of the range too?

I see if some limit is not placed on what and where the land is plowed down. Perhaps there will be no ends and the entire Warren Grove area will be plowed free of vegetation or perhaps some chemical applied to stop any growth.

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
A cal to Trenton Forest Fire service. Indicates so far that at least the person i spoke with. Is not ware of any new fire breaks that have been approved along bombing range road.

These may be from old plans that perhaps have just not been implemented until now.

I have specificaly requested a copy or The East Plains Management plan. Which I was told is still not completed.

I would also like to know what the plan is for old Simms place road. Where i own some property.

I am expecting a call back as was indicated would occur.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Guy, the man who ordered that chop-job shown in the photos is a stupid idiot. Did PBX, or did PBX not walk 5 miles through the woods and see the open places that fire jumped? No fire truck, or bulldozer, or ditch-witch, or line of smokeaters is going to stop a pine plains fire on a dry windy day. It will do what it will.

Do you remember the movie someone posted on this site that had that fire truck close to the fire? They did not fight it, they got the hell out of there quickly.

Bob, You are dead on regarding how easily a fire can jump a line or even a major road. But these lines may have been made for another purpose. I have no specific information on the work done at the bombing range but what I've learned from working with the Forest Fire Service on county park land is that many lines falsely referred to as “fire breaks” are actually intended to be lines where a backfire can be set in the path of an oncoming wildfire. Because these backfires are normally done during the fire season, as opposed to the more restrictive weather conditions that prescribed burns are done under in the winter, they need to be wider than the typical plow line in order to ensure that the backfire doesn’t jump the line downwind. When these lines aren't present, the next best thing is to set a backfire at the next paved road downwind. But this oftens results in a much larger area being backfired than might be needed if a line cut for that specific purpose was present. Much of the land burned during the last fire along Rt. 539 was from the backfire, not the wildfire.

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Return call from Trenton Forest Fire service.

Indicates all of the work being done around the range is to part of the plan by NJ Natural Lands to protect the Broom Crowberry from fire.

I am now seeking copy of this plan.

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Here is info and a link to contact person for this project.

I have called and emailed my questions !

Perhaps others could as well. We should at least be aware of what is planned?

Robert J. Cartica Administrator
Tele: 609-984-1339
Fax: 609-984-1427

Emal bob.cartica@dep.state.nj.us

Department of Environmental Protection
Office of Natural Lands Management
22 South Clinton Avenue, Station Plaza 4
P.O. Box 404
Trenton, NJ 08625-0404

http://www.naturalarea.org/programs.aspx?p=New Jersey

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would agree with German that they may want to use that path to start backfires. If they do it every two years or whenever is needed, they can burn enough of their own property to keep the fire from spreading. However, if they think that path is going to stop it, Bob is correct that it will never happen.

Guy

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Interesting how much attention is being given to the Crowberry in this one area.

Perhaps there is more to it then just protection of something endangered.

Maybe some newer pharmaceutical use has been discovered for it?

Or maybe, NJ is gonna build a solar farm in the east plains ?