New Found(?) Gun Clubs/Cabins in the Pines

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Do you know if Wannamassa was correct or a name someone gave it?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
he is standing less then fifty feet from a stone that Guy found by I could not.I assume it was buried,either that or I'm blind.

You may have the wrong location Al. The one you are thinking of is the one I was at during the earthquake.

Guy

Star Tree

Scout
Apr 28, 2011
Waretown
I just figured that the club's membership were from Wannamassa. I guess they never rebuilt after their last building was destroyed. I heard two versions of how it went down. One was a gas explosion the other was high explosives.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am a little confused. How did you figure they were from Wannamassa, and what is Wannamassa?

Star Tree

Scout
Apr 28, 2011
Waretown
No problem, Wanamassa (sorry I originally spelled it wrong) is a section of Ocean Twp., Monmouth County. It's common for the members to name their clubs after where they're from so that's where I always thought the name came from.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Okay. Maybe I am missing something......how do you know they were from Wanamassa to name it that?????? Did you know they were there? Sorry for all the questions but I am not seeing how this all connects.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I'm thinking of the old hunting club remains east of the B inscribed stone you found in the swamp which itself is east of Blacks Stone.Perhaps this is the club further south up Chamberlin Branch that I never made it to?

Star Tree

Scout
Apr 28, 2011
Waretown
Again it's my best guess but around the area at one time there were quite a few clubs and many were named for the home town of the membership, Parlin, South River, Delaware, Trenton. I'll see if I can get a hold of one of my older friends who may have some first hand info.
Thanks Mike for the air photo. A lot of that area burned over in 1963. Maybe that's when the original building went down?

Lloyd Taylor

Oct 16, 2012
Waretown, NJ
Here is a map of my Sunday morning 7.1 mile run with some pictures of the different trails, FRM area but no Gun Clubs found.:)

Trail May 7:21.jpg
photo 2.jpgphoto 1.jpgphoto 3.jpg

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
So the gun club in the first post is one of the few left that haven't been picked clean by the folks who drive around looking for scrap metal. I really would prefer that coordinates like those not be posted on the site.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
That is an issue. Others will chime in but I often do not post, including today, I did not want to draw attention. It's sad because discoveries and sharing are what made this site great.

I totally agree. But on the other hand, the sharing of the coordinates to Ace Campground led to it being vandalized after sitting untouched for 15+ years, and then it finally being bulldozed by the state.

I think it's totally possible that discoveries can be shared without posting the coordinates publicly. There's a ton of great photos and text describing whats there. And people are free to contact the poster and ask for those directions.

It's the people who are not members of the site, who just casually browse looking for souvenirs, that I worry about.

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
Ben- glad you took the links down. I'd like to visit this place again one day and it would be great to see it like this again. Plus, part of the thrill is the hunt!

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
Well it's guys like you that help to keep many of these places around. Growing up in the area I never realized what was all around me. It's neat to come rediscover it now.

Reactions: Ben Ruset

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
We always called that the Wannamassa Club. The story I heard was that the building indicated on the topo was their original club and later they built another building farther up the swamp. The 2nd one was the one that was blown up in the early 1970's?
I'll give you guys credit for going back there. The only reason I would go up there this time of year is on business.

Found something interesting about this particular location on a Historic Aerial map from 1968.

Check this out:
oVaBGmJ.jpg

Was this a mistake or was there a Goodwill Camp in the same location as the Gun Club?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You have the wrong location. That is the current location of the Ironside Gun Club.