New Jersey trails plan

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Trailhead00:

Your right in some respects, we all enjoy using the outoors in different ways, its what brings variety and spice to life; I myself enjoy fishing, kayaking,and the occasional trail ride through the Pines. We should however find out about locations before we use them. Most people do find out about a location before going there right? And the Batona is marked as being just a footpath in more than one area. I understand Mt. Bikers want a challenge outside of a flat open path, and outside the trail in Brenden Byrne I dont think they have a lot of options for this, but designated trails are that way for a reason. The two guys I saw were ripping up the undergrowth off trail as much as on, although my wording of swath of destruction was a little over the top though:rolleyes:. The fact of the matter is though this was last Fall, and when I was out there in Spring the damage they did still existed. I'm sure it was more fun and challenging for them to use the Batona in such a fashion, but it was indeed ripping up trail. They rutted it and beat up the undergrowth something fierce, making the future walkers path tougher and a little less sightly. I've worked on more then one A.T. trail crew to learn that biker repair is hard work. Horses are even worse, nothing like playing landmine hiking for miles on end, they chew up more trail and make for less happy hiking then the bikers do. I just really think that when each of us, with our own prospective interest, have the ability to follow the rules and use the areas designated for them we should do our best to follow them. If for no other reason then to respect others in the woods around us.
You are 100% right about the Pines ownership thing, I've battled it for years within myself, looking sideways at some that are obviously from out of the area. And what are they usually doing; not littering or causing habitat destruction, but having a simple good time. The older I've gotten though, and the farther away I've explored, I've come to see real peril in this line of thinking. While hiking the Appalachian Trail in Tennessee locals "fishhooked" the trail, trying to catch hikers and injure them. What did it get them? Less people? NO WAY, just hikers leaving the area with bad opinions about the locals. We often think more people will equal more problems, if not less isolation. I really believe however that if the State markets and protects areas the way they should be we will find an area cleaner, safer, and more enjoyable for all.

Hope to see you on the trail....unless your on The Batona on a horse or bike then its gonna be :siren: :jeffd: :mad: ......jk:)

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
I ran into one ranger who was patrolling in a popular dump area. Not much good it did. They really need to stake it out and wait. The dumping is probably they greatest threat to the environment short of develpement.

I don't think they have the time to do that when they are too busy stealthily staking out popular campsites like Hawkins Bridge to catch people doing things illegal while camping. Such a shame really. There are a few spots I visit on a regular basis and just bring trashbags because I know it will be littered with trash when I get there.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
So anybody else stop by this meeting Tuesday? I did, and while an interesting point or two was made, like turning the Old Central Jersey into a hiking route, I came away disappointed. The gentlemen in running the show, while a nice guy, was simply in charge of grants and didn't have a real understanding of what he was dealing with. People milled around, filled out those same online forms, and pretty much left. There was really no Q & A's and most there as representatives kept to themselves in the corners. This didn't go for all, I met a nice women involved with the Green Way project, but she was the exception.
Still, looks like the turn out had been decent however judging from the stack of forms I saw. Hopefully something positive will come out of this.