New Map

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Until I can get it added to the Historic Map Gallery, here is a 1858 map of Burlington County by William Parry, George Sikes, and F. W. Earl. I found it at the Library of Congress. I have cut some of the top and bottom of the county off to make the file smaller for you now. It is a massive map.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate1/001.jpg

This is a very interesting map that you should have in your collection. It shows the location and owner of most dwellings in the county.

Items of interest.

This map shows the machine shop at Harrisville that is not shown on the map in the book Harrisville by Angelo Dellomo Jr. It was located on the west side of the lake away from the town.

main.php

2. The church at Martha is shown as well as all of the other homes.

3. A house is shown at Old Half Way in Ocean county and it appears it is called the “Old Half Way House”. The word “house” is separated from the rest of the text which may have caused the town to be called Old Half Way by some. Just a theory.

4. The location of Penn’s Place is shown.

5. At Hampton Furnace a saw mill is shown where the Furnace was located.

6. The “Flemens” Estates are shown at Atsion, on Atsion Road, at Hampton Furnace, and Hampton Gate.

7. Breakfast Point is called Breakfort Point. There are others like this which just could be errors.

8. The Jones family homes are shown at both Hanover Furnace and Mary Ann Forge.

9. Many of the property tracts are shown such as the Benjamin Randolph Tract at Speedwell, the Union Tact near Chatsworth (Union Lake), the Richards tract, the Atsion Tract, etc.

10. A lone house is shown on Tuckerton Road in the area of what is now High Crossing.

11. And if you have read many of the books on the pines you are always reading where many of the businesses in the pines folded because the RR which they had hoped would be built near them was moved further south. This map shows the original intended route taking it from Atsion through Hampton Furnace, North of Apple Pie Hill into Lebanon State Forest above the Lebanon Glass works into Ocean County. Notice it goes right through the two ponds at Hampton Furnace.

12. The location of the Hotel at Hampton Gate is shown. Speculation on it’s location is evident in Barbara Solem-Stull’s book.

There are many other interesting point of interest on this map that if you see you should post and point it out.

The original map is available at the Library of Congress and is stored in the .jp2 format. So if you want more detail, and you can handle .jp2, you can get it at this link.

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/map_i...records / by Wm. Parry, Geo. Sykes, F.W. Earl

Guy

All,

Until I can get it added to the Historic Map Gallery, here is a 1858 map of Burlington County by William Parry, George Sikes, and F. W. Earl. I found it at the Library of Congress. I have cut some of the top and bottom of the county off to make the file smaller for you now. It is a massive map.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate1/001.jpg

This is a very interesting map that you should have in your collection. It shows the location and owner of most dwellings in the county.

Items of interest.

This map shows the machine shop at Harrisville that is not shown on the map in the book Harrisville by Angelo Dellomo Jr. It was located on the west side of the lake away from the town.

main.php

2. The church at Martha is shown as well as all of the other homes.

3. A house is shown at Old Half Way in Ocean county and it appears it is called the “Old Half Way House”. The word “house” is separated from the rest of the text which may have caused the town to be called Old Half Way by some. Just a theory.

4. The location of Penn’s Place is shown.

5. At Hampton Furnace a saw mill is shown where the Furnace was located.

6. The “Flemens” Estates are shown at Atsion, on Atsion Road, at Hampton Furnace, and Hampton Gate.

7. Breakfast Point is called Breakfort Point. There are others like this which just could be errors.

8. The Jones family homes are shown at both Hanover Furnace and Mary Ann Forge.

9. Many of the property tracts are shown such as the Benjamin Randolph Tract at Speedwell, the Union Tact near Chatsworth (Union Lake), the Richards tract, the Atsion Tract, etc.

10. A lone house is shown on Tuckerton Road in the area of what is now High Crossing.

11. And if you have read many of the books on the pines you are always reading where many of the businesses in the pines folded because the RR which they had hoped would be built near them was moved further south. This map shows the original intended route taking it from Atsion through Hampton Furnace, North of Apple Pie Hill into Lebanon State Forest above the Lebanon Glass works into Ocean County. Notice it goes right through the two ponds at Hampton Furnace.

12. The location of the Hotel at Hampton Gate is shown. Speculation on it’s location is evident in Barbara Solem-Stull’s book.

There are many other interesting point of interest on this map that if you see you should post and point it out.

The original map is available at the Library of Congress and is stored in the .jp2 format. So if you want more detail, and you can handle .jp2, you can get it at this link.

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/map_i...records / by Wm. Parry, Geo. Sykes, F.W. Earl

Guy

Guy:

I see you're having some fun with the URL I provided you--that's great! There are some fabulous maps on the LoC website with the promise of even more to come! If you're interested in other map sites, feel free to email or PM me and I'll send you some other URLs. Regarding the 1858 Burlington County map, the trio who produced it brought out a revised or corrected edition the following year. One minor correction, though, Guy, I think you'll find that the name is George Sykes not Sikes. Other Burlington County maps include the Otley and Whiteford 1849 map and, of course, the 1876 J.D. Scott atlas. There is only other partial map of Burlington County up at the State Library in Trenton. It does not provide full coverage, but it's still pretty good and it dates to 1825. The library has it as a photostatic print and it is worth looking at!

For anyone interested in the history of mapping in New Jersey, John Parr Snyder's book, The Mapping of New Jersey : The Men and the Art (Rutgers, 1973) is a must! Similarly, for those interested in how the counties and municipalities developed, Parr's book called The Story of New Jersey's Civil Boundary (NJGS 1969) is also a must!!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
Very nice find. It's the first I have heard tell of the R. Jones Hotel at Mt. Misery.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy:

One minor correction, though, Guy, I think you'll find that the name is George Sykes not Sikes.
Jerseyman

Jerseyman,

They should have used their spellchecker.

main.php

I had known that there were Sykes maps, but there may have been someone else making maps so I wrote what they placed on it. One would think they would have made sure that was correct.

The Library of Congress site had some interesting maps, but in general I was not happy with the search feature. Most of the time I came up empty.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Fascinating map. I notice that Calico is not on it.

Steve

I would assume if there were houses there they would be on the map. So apparently Calico was not in existence then.

Did you notice the "Allen & French" mentioned next to Martha. I check the Dellomo book on Harrisville and it mentions a man named Levi French. If it was him then in the 1890's he was one player in the process of Wharton's semi shady dealings to purchase Harrisville.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Tom,

Did you look at the detailed Florence area at the bottom left of the map?

Guy

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
I did. A copy of the same map was published in the Burlington County Herald in 1859(+/-) and I have wondered where it came from. Your copy is much nicer, though. The edges of town are cut off on the copy I have.

I have often wondered if Richard wasn't behind the formation of the Florence City Company. The reason being that around 1850 he had gone to Newark and organized the New Jersey Mining and Exploration company the same time that the Florence City Company was being organized by a group of New Yorkers. Both Richard, Andrew and his father Benjamin had business interests in New York as well at the same time. The family was already familiar with Florence because they used the Kinkora railway to transport thier wares from Hanover to the Delaware. And, shortly after Richards return from North Jersey in 1853 he became the owner of a significant amount of property in Florence. Four of the houses (that I know) he built are still standing. He isn't listed as one of the organizers, though.

I did. A copy of the same map was published in the Burlington County Herald in 1859(+/-) and I have wondered where it came from. Your copy is much nicer, though. The edges of town are cut off on the copy I have.

I have often wondered if Richard wasn't behind the formation of the Florence City Company. The reason being that around 1850 he had gone to Newark and organized the New Jersey Mining and Exploration company the same time that the Florence City Company was being organized by a group of New Yorkers. Both Richard, Andrew and his father Benjamin had business interests in New York as well at the same time. The family was already familiar with Florence because they used the Kinkora railway to transport thier wares from Hanover to the Delaware. And, shortly after Richards return from North Jersey in 1853 he became the owner of a significant amount of property in Florence. Four of the houses (that I know) he built are still standing. He isn't listed as one of the organizers, though.

Tom:

Based on your posting above and the fact that you live in Florence, I discern you have an interest in the Jones family and the founding of your town. Knowing the source material, I would say that you obtain some of the information you provide above from Charles Boyer's Early Forges and Furnaces in New Jersey. From my research, Richard did relocate to Newark--the 1850 federal census lists him as a resident of the North Ward and his occupation as "Zinc and Iron Manf'r." However, his name does not appear among those incorporating the "New Jersey Exploring and Mining Company" (the correct name) when the state legislature chartered the corporation on 2 November 1849. The incorporators did include a Samuel T. Jones (his brother's middle initial being "H." for Howell), but this could represent a misreading of the name on the original handwritten bill and this man might very well be his brother. Since he did not reside in Newark or Essex County during the 1850 census, it's possible that Samuel lived near the mine operations in Sussex County. If so, the census enumerator must have missed him there. I did not find him listed in Burlington County either. The other incorporators of the New Jersey Exploring and Mining Company included:

Samuel Fowler, Robert O. Fowler, George W. Savage, William W. Campbell, Ludlow Thomas, James L. Curtis, J. Elnathan Smith, and William Ogilvie.

I'm not going to say that Richard did not participate in forming this corporation, because he probably did. But why did he not include himself among the incorporators? As Boyer indicated, the state legislature passed a supplemental act on 12 February 1852 changing the company's name to the New Jersey Zinc Company.

Regarding any Jones family involvement in forming the Florence City Company, I am somewhat doubtful. The Florence and Keyport Joint Companies, chartered in Monmouth County during August 1853, planned to establish a deepwater port in Florence and a plank road over to Keyport, where the joint companies would build another port facility, thereby facilitating the transshipment of goods between New York City and Philadelphia. However, when the planned Florence and Keyport Plank Road failed to materialize, the Florence City Company likely fell as the next domino.

What attracted the Joneses to Florence? Most likely, the planned deepwater port and plank road. Or, perhaps the Joneses saw an opportunity to purchase land along the Delaware River at a discount from the Florence City Company. The Delaware & Atlantic Railroad had died during the mid to late 1840s, so the iron family sought a site more convenient to established transportation routes to build a new furnace and casting house. Locating along the Delaware River provided an easy means to move pipe and associated castings to Philadelphia without transshipment and the planned plank road would offer them entrance into the New York market.

With the terminus of the Delaware & Atlantic Railroad at Brown's Point, where the town of Roebling sits today, I'm not sure it's correct to say that the Joneses intially had first-hand familiarity with Florence, since the town's site on the riverbank was several miles from the former D&A railroad pier and since the railroad had ceased operations before the formation of the Florence City Company in 1849. However, I'm sure the family knew about the development and determined the land would be an ideal location for their new iron manufactory, particularly with the planned improvements of the Florence & Keyport Joint Companies.

The lack of construction on the plank road must have dealt a serious blow to the plans the Joneses had for their new furnace. The family kept their Florence operation going until after the Civil War, but then Richard Jones offered to sell the manufactory to R.D. Wood, who came to view the plant but turned down the offer when he realized the facility was in a deteriorated condition and would require the expenditure of $10,000 to return it to full production. When Wood refused to buy it, the Joneses sold it to Colonel Patterson, a land speculator who also purchased the northern half of the Atsion tract in 1862 and established the Fruitland Improvement Company. Patterson finally sold the Florence Iron Works to Wood at a substantial discount.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Flemens

Guy,
Thanks for bringing it in. Fun map.

Jerseyman,
viewing an area of interest I noticed the "Flemens" estate. I have always seen in writing or map the spelling of the Gentleman as W.W. FLEMING.
Is this just another one of those map mispellings or is there more to it?

I am guessing this particular mapping wasn't focusing on the rest of that area? There is more I expected to see in that area that just isn't depicted at all.

G.

Jerseyman,
viewing an area of interest I noticed the "Flemens" estate. I have always seen in writing or map the spelling of the Gentleman as W.W. FLEMING.
Is this just another one of those map mispellings or is there more to it?

I am guessing this particular mapping wasn't focusing on the rest of that area? There is more I expected to see in that area that just isn't depicted at all.

G.

LARGO:

Yes, most definitely a misspelling of William Walton Fleming's surname, from whom the Fleming Pike received its name. Note that the map uses the word "estate." For those who do not know the story of Mr. Fleming, he came up to Philadelphia from Charleston, South Carolina with his father and sister. He established the first commercial nickel and cobalt refinery in the United States in Camden, New Jersey on the west bank of Cooper's Creek. During 1848, Maria Lawrence Richards, daughter of Batsto's Samuel Richards, idled through her summer at Weymouth, where she met Fleming. By December, William presented her with an engagement ring. They subsequently married in June 1849. Accepted into the Richards family with all the rights and privileges, he received Atsion to manage, became involved in planning the Camden & Atlantic Railroad and aided in laying out Atlantic City. All of this in addition to his own enterprises. However, he became overextended and financially embarrassed--even his own father brought suit and criminal charges against him. With increasing pressure upon him, he simply disappeared in 1854. Reportedly, even his wife did not know what had happened to him for quite a period of time. He finally surfaced in Brussels, Belguim, where he wife and son later joined him and there the family remained. He died there in 1879. Meanwhile, the 1858 map lists the property as "estate" because most people assumed he had died.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jerseyman,

Tom is a direct decendant of Benjamin Jones. He will give you the correct answer but I believe he was his G G G Grandfather. He has the actual map of the Hanover Furnace property and many other items from them.

Guy

Jerseyman,

Tom is a direct decendant of Benjamin Jones. He will give you the correct answer but I believe he was his G G G Grandfather. He has the actual map of the Hanover Furnace property and many other items from them.

Guy

Fascinating, Guy--absolutely fascinating!! While I can conduct research 'til the cows come home, there is nothing like a direct familial line to keep the story straight.

Tom--if my posting contains any misinformation, I certainly would be happy to know it.

Thanks!!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jerseyman.

Maybe you can help him out. The map is extremely fragile and he wants to make copies. He was able to scan it in three sections and I pieced it together somewhat. However, he does not want to copy it in the machine that you and I used at Kinko's for fear of damaging it.

Do you know of a copier that copies large maps without having the map pulled into it?

Guy

Jerseyman.

Maybe you can help him out. The map is extremely fragile and he wants to make copies. He was able to scan it in three sections and I pieced it together somewhat. However, he does not want to copy it in the machine that you and I used at Kinko's for fear of damaging it.

Do you know of a copier that copies large maps without having the map pulled into it?

Guy

Guy and Tom:

How large is the map? I do have some ideas for copying it, but size is an issue.

BTW, Tom, do you any material on the Delaware & Atlantic Railroad? I have quite a bit of research in my files related to that line, but I am always looking for more--especially information from a family directly related to the operation!

Best,
Jerseyman

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
TeeGate said:
The map is extremely fragile and he wants to make copies.
Guy

Fellas,
I do not want to seem foolish, but assuming you are obviously into capturing what colors are on the maps, hasn't anyone just used a copier designed for Project Prints & copies? I access these when needed in my business on occasion and can make copies of rollout prints quite large.
Am I missing something?

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
W.w. Fleming

Jerseyman,
Thank you for the response. I figured it was a spelling issue. A lot of the info that you gave I've got penned down but your provision of small yet important details is always a welcome addition.
Often, the details make the tale worth telling.

G.