New Movie: The Revenant

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
I realize that this is way off-topic, and I rarely get fired up about movies, but this looks phenomenal:

Teaser trailer:

I opted for this trailer over the other, longer one that gives more of the story away. The scenery (much of it shot in BC) looks amazing and it's not greenscreened. The background story is of Hugh Glass, a pioneer who has quite the story attached to his name. Can. Not. Wait.

Reactions: pinelandpaddler

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I have not been to a movie since Red October, but this might bring me back. A bit reminiscent of Robert Redford as Jeremiah Johnson.

Reactions: NJChileHead

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
JJ has always been one of my favorite movies. Seeing it as a teen is the reason every deer since then has been taken with a Hawken replica. I'm also looking forward to this new film.

Reactions: NJChileHead

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Saw the movie-it was fantastic and worth it for the scenery alone. It also prompted me to do some research on the fur trading industry of that period (which features prominently in the story) which was extremely interesting.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Real life, I'm sure many of you have watch the Dick Proenneke documentaries on public television. I very much enjoy that, have watched it several times. Love it each time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke

I'm a big fan and would love to visit his cabin someday. Aside from his superior skills as an outdoorsman/survivalist, the thing that really strikes me about him is the physical stamina it would take to construct a cabin completely with hand tools alone, felling trees, hacking limbs off, peeling bark, notching logs/sawing them lengthwise into boards. Another testament to Proenneke's hardiness is a line from the narration that describes the dead of the Alaskan winter when it's something like -30°F outside and he states that his cabin is a "toasty 45°" :eek:

Reactions: bobpbx

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Saw the movie-it was fantastic and worth it for the scenery alone. It also prompted me to do some research on the fur trading industry of that period (which features prominently in the story) which was extremely interesting.

Yes it sure is. I might have my history wrong, but it seemed to me like they, in many ways, were the true pioneers of much of the American frontier. My recollection is that because there was fierce competition between the fur traders, they were pushing ahead of the settlers and trying to push ahead of one another into uncharted (and often hostile) territory.

Jed Smith's story is also rather interesting. Another near casualty of a bear attack.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Yes it sure is. I might have my history wrong, but it seemed to me like they, in many ways, were the true pioneers of much of the American frontier. My recollection is that because there was fierce competition between the fur traders, they were pushing ahead of the settlers and trying to push ahead of one another into uncharted (and often hostile) territory.

Jed Smith's story is also rather interesting. Another near casualty of a bear attack.

Reminds me of a statement I read many years ago regarding firearms of the 19th century. Something along the lines of the claim of the Winchester being the gun that won the West being BS. It was the Hawken, and similar arms carried by the trappers/mountain men, decades earlier.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Thanks 46er! Me and a friend are both big into Mountain Man /Trapper history! .....

Al,
I subscribe to Trapper/Predator Caller and Fur, Fish Game. Both magazines have amazing stories about modern day trap line runners throughout Canada and other places that are fascinating. Even with fur prices bottomed out, there are mountain men and women who still scratch out a living every year in conditions that would reduce us New Jersey flatlanders to little girls.

Reactions: manumuskin