New Owners Of Historic Buzby’s General Store Plan To Reopen Chatsworth Landmark Shortly

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I agree Boyd. However, I also hope all goes well for them.

Now we need to find out what happened at Eagle. That place is at a stand still. The wood has to be compromised by the weather.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I wish them luck ! I will gladly make the ride occasionally for a good country breakfast and I would hope locals and shore traffickers will wheel in too.

I had the good fortune to spend a full day and into part of the night at Buzby's in 1979 or 1980 to work the deer check station. Working a check station was a requirement of a wildlife management class I was taking at Rutgers at the time. I was a busy all day back when all the clubs in the Chatsworth area were running full bore.

The deer check stations are a personal and fondly remembered part of Jersey Pines history for me. Many bars, general stores (like Buzby's) and small sporting good stores served as check stations back in those days and for good reason. It brought sportsmen and sportswomen together with a common bond that always lead to deer stories out in a starlit parking lot on a crisp December night. For the mom and pop sporting goods shops like Atco Sports, it meant more business, as the hunters would come in and re-stock on a few things after the hunt. For the bars, it meant a bunch of excited hunters toasting each other after checking in their deer and staying "awhile" to celebrate. I never left the Pic in Shamong or the Pic II in Ancora without tossing back a few cold ones and a shot or two before I went home with my deer.

Now, it's a somewhat sterile and distant operation which allows checking your deer online or by phone. However, the operators I have talked to have all been out of State people with lively personalities. I checked a deer in the dark in a farm field on New Year's Eve a few years ago and me and the lady had a wonderful conversation about hunting and sincerely wished each other a happy new year. :)

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Thanks Scott, your reminiscence of deer checking brought back many fond memories for me when I first started hunting in Woodmansie. The Woodshed was the check station we used. We hunted all the "letter" fields in Greenwood as well as the fields near and around Hidden Lakes. We would also make the trip to Stafford Forge for muzzle loader. Enough of a hijack from me, I wish the new owners luck and will be stopping when out that way.

Reactions: RednekF350

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Thanks Scott, your reminiscence of deer checking brought back many fond memories for me when I first started hunting in Woodmansie. The Woodshed was the check station we used. We hunted all the "letter" fields in Greenwood as well as the fields near and around Hidden Lakes. We would also make the trip to Stafford Forge for muzzle loader. Enough of a hijack from me, I wish the new owners luck and will be stopping when out that way.
I always wanted to fish the Woodshed Pickerel Tournament but I never did.

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
I guess I am about a week late on this, but since nobody has posted an update - Buzby's is now open. I stopped in yesterday during the Cranberry Festival and said hello to the new owners. Glad it's back. Haven't tried the food yet, though.
A7408482.jpg