New WAAS satellite.....

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I just read on a boating forum that there is another satellite, PRN-133 available for WAAS. Don't know enough about this stuff to understand if it will increase accuracy or if its just a redundant one, but more is probably better :smug:

GEO_big.jpg

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
" Don't know enough about this stuff to understand if it will increase accuracy or if its just a redundant one, but more is probably better"

Same here. I have the option to turn WAAS on or off on my GPS, but I don't know what difference it makes.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
See this: http://www8.garmin.com/aboutGPS/waas.html

I think it can help for certain applications, when you can get a good lock. The Oregon series has had a lot of problems maintaining WAAS lock, but recent firmware seems to have improved this. For using when hiking around, I honestly don't think it matters much. If you are standing still, trying to get the most accurate fix to mark a waypoint then it is more helpful. In the car, it's basically pointless since City Navigator maps will snap your position to the nearest road (unless you have specifically disabled that option on certain handheld models).

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
OK, so WAAS can give a more accurate position reading when stationary. Is there any reason why not to leave it on all the time when moving? I don't think so. Then why even have an option to turn it off?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I read somewhere that it decreases battery life?

The folks on the boating forum are jumping up and down happy :dance: over this.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I can only suggest that you try some tests of your own and make a decision based on your own device and usage patterns. I don't know if it affects battery life.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd,

I was playing with my GPS just now turning on the Waas and noticed something. Have you ever played with the "Sight n Go?" I have always been annoyed that the Garmin only displays up to 528 feet, and if I am at a stone and I know the distance to the next one is 1220 feet, I had a hard time knowing the exact location. With the Sight n Go I can select a direction, lock it, put in the feet, yards, or miles I want to go, and it will give me the waypoint. So if I am standing at a stone and know the general direction and a distance, I am not hampered with it only displaying 528 feet.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd,

I just updated the firmware on my 60csx and now each time I turn it off it gives a continuous beep and I can't stop it without taking out the batteries. Any idea's?

If anyone has a 60csx I would suggest you pass on any firmware updates for a while.

EDIT: It is also freezing constantly.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I updated mine a couple years ago and the exact same thing happened. Then awhile later I updated when a new version came out and it fixed things.

I know how to revert to previous versions on the newer units because they are file-based, but the 60csx is an older design that doesn't have user-accessible memory. What version did you install? The newest version I see on Garmin's site is 4.00 and it's two years old. Do you know what your old version was? Here's 4.00: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=1245

Since it has been out for so long, hard to believe there's a major problem that hasn't been corrected already. Just checked and I am running version 3.70 on mine. Before doing anything else, try a master reset. Sometimes this is needed after a software update: https://support.garmin.com/support/...caseId={85f5ae00-14aa-11de-76c5-000000000000}

How do I perform a Master Reset on my GPS/GPSMAP 60-series?

There are a few instances in which you may want to perform a master reset on your GPSMAP 60, 60C, 60CS, 60Cx, 60CSx, or GPS 60, such as:
  • not receiving a satellite signal
  • want to restore the factory default settings
  • not functioning properly
All settings, user data*, and satellite data may be erased when resetting the GPS. User data can be backed up to the computer, therefore refer to the FAQ article "How do I back up user data from my GPS/GPSMAP 60-series?" before performing the reset.
To perform a master reset:
  1. Ensure the device is powered off
  2. Press and hold Page, Enter and Power simultaneously
  3. Release on the buttons once the Do you really want to erase all user data? message appears
  4. Select Yes
The GPSMAP 60, 60C, 60CS, 60Cx 60CSx, or GPS 60 is now reset. You will want to leave the device outside with a clear view of the sky for a minimum of 20 minutes to acquire satellite data.
*User data consists of waypoints, routes, tracks, and geocaches
Referenced Links:
https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={455bccf0-c883-11e0-cf56-000000000000}
https://support.garmin.com/support/...caseId={455bccf0-c883-11e0-cf56-000000000000}

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was at 3.8 and now at 4.0. I have never been notified by BaseCamp until today that there was a Firmware update.

After posting my post it seem to settle down with the crashing but it still gives a continuous beep when turning off. I have to remove the battery each time. I just tried the reset you suggested and that did not stop the beep. I contacted Garmin and will wait and see what they say. Luckily, I have the Oregon to use. However, I wanted the 60CSX for this weekend to look for monuments in Atsion.
Thanks for the reset info.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have access to Windows and will give it a try tomorrow. Thanks!

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Trying to remember... there was an old issue with some models related to using a Mac. The mac writes some hidden files to a memory card, and they were causing the condition you describe. I thought this was fixed, but it's worth checking anyway. Simplest way to test would be to remove the memory card and see if it still does the same thing.

There are some utilities for showing hidden files on the Mac, but I would just use the Terminal program because I'm an oldtime unix geek. :D

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I decided to give it a quick try and went back to 3.9 and it still has the continuous beep. I am going back to 3.7 now. I am switching back and forth to Windows trying to do this.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I took the memory card out and it stopped. I put it back in and it beeped. So that is the answer. I have to now erase the card.

As usual you solved the problem. Thanks!

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
A corrupted .gpx file might also cause something like that, and I know Basecamp bugs can sometimes be the cause of that. Glad we were able to track it down for you though (I hope). :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will play more with it tomorrow and get back to you.

Guy