New WAAS satellite.....

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Garmin wrote me back. No surprise now what they told me :)

Do you have a data card in the GPSMAP 60CSX ? If so I would recommend removing the card, if you do not get the continuous beep after removing the card then the card may be corrupted and would need to be reformatted.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd,

I have tried formatting it using the Mac and it still is not working. Can you tell me the best way in Windows to format it?

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
For starters, go to the Windows Folder Options menu and on the View tab choose Show hidden files and folders, then un-check Hide protected operating system files. Now open the card and see what hidden files are on it. In unix (eg: MacOSX) files that begin with a dot (period) are hidden. I would delete all of these and see if the card works then.

But the card must be formatted as FAT32 also. Right-click on the drive letter that represents the card and choose properties. It should say:

Type: removable disk
File System: FAT32

If not, then right-click the drive, choose Format and FAT32 with Allocation unit size 4096 bytes.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd,

It took me a while to find the invisable file and fplder option because it is in the Tools Menu on the XP I am running in Bootcamp. In any event, I had to put the card in my Oregon to have it show up as a drive in Windows, and I then was able to look in the card and saw two .trashes Mac files. I deleted them both and formatted the card using Windows. I returned the card to the 60csx and it now works properly.

Now I have to decide if I should upgrade again to Firmware 4.0. I think if I do it this time I will go into Windows and use the link you gave me to all of the Firmware files and not use Basecamp on the Mac to upgrade. I am certain that during that update those files had to have been installed or I would have had this problem earlier.

Thanks for all your help!

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Great, glad you got it working. Sometimes it's just a mystery why those things happen. The .trashes files are pretty normal and I'm surprised they were a problem. I believe they will be created by MacOSX any time you connect the GPS. You might keep an eye out for a deal on a USB 2.0 card reader. The interface on the 60csx is USB 1.0 and really slow for copying big map files.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I can't get your topo map back in. Each time I hook it to Basecamp it loads in the .trashes files and the problems start all over. I may have try Windows. It has been so long since I did that I can't remember how I installed your maps the last time. I lost them in the formatting.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
If not already installed in Mapsource, you can download here, then just run the installer and it will be added to Mapsource: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/294/

Once it's in mapsource, just use the map tool to select the area you want and Transfer > Send To Device > Maps

If you like, I will send you the beta version of my new map however and you can check it out. But I would need somewhere to upload because it's about 200MB and I'm not sure if I have that much free webspace available. It will be a file that you can just drop onto the card without using Basecamp.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If not already installed in Mapsource, you can download here, then just run the installer and it will be added to Mapsource: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/294/

Once it's in mapsource, just use the map tool to select the area you want and Transfer > Send To Device > Maps

If you like, I will send you the beta version of my new map however and you can check it out. But I would need somewhere to upload because it's about 200MB and I'm not sure if I have that much free webspace available. It will be a file that you can just drop onto the card without using Basecamp.

That card is only 128 so I have to stick to the original map I had in there. I only bought the large card for the Oregon.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I just built a map that covers everything in NJ south of 1-195 and it's about 84MB. The file can be copied directly to the Garmin folder on your card. Basecamp can also access the map whenever the card is accessible on your mac. You could also copy it to a USB flash disk and access in Basecamp.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I just built a map that covers everything in NJ south of 1-195 and it's about 84MB. The file can be copied directly to the Garmin folder on your card. Basecamp can also access the map whenever the card is accessible on your mac. You could also copy it to a USB flash disk and access in Basecamp.

Sounds interesting. Do you have storage space to upload it?

Guy