New Woods and Male Bonding

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Wow Jeff! You got a hell of a lot done in an hour. That sulfur pit photo brings the memory back strong, if you get my drift. I was thinking of that place today a lot, since this morning I drove past it on the way to BCC, then on the way back I took Ridgeline Road in Browns Mills (another interesting and similar spot). That canal does not seem to have been able to carry any water uphill, right? But, didn't we follow it both up and downhill? Very strange indeed.

So, Bisphams Mill was the first name of Upper and Lower Mill. I can understand that. After he died, they said, "what the hell, we'll call it upper and lower so that we don't corn-fuze ourselves (hand me that jug of rum...hiccup!)"

How about that home on New Lisbon road just North of greenwood bridge road? That place was there in the 60's when I lived in the "Lakes". Nothing changes.

Also, I saw the two spung holes you told me about on terraserver. Just downstream from the experimental station.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
:D Real nice pics jeff,that area is definitely stoking my interest.That cat briar looks virtually impossible to breech.

You ain't kidding!
normal_lower_mill_023.jpg

Jeff

Jeff:

Sorry I did not respond earlier to this thread. My initial thoughts regarding the sulfur smell related to a possible tannery operation there, but your hand-drafted map fails to reveal the normal layout for such activities. So, what other explanations might there be for the strong sulfur smell? Naturally occurring sulfates are associated with limestone containing organic material; ground water polluted by oil, gas, and/or coal deposits; in marshes and manure pits; in naturally dissolving minerals; and in the byproduct of well-established iron biofilms. While I do not know the diameter of the "pit" you found eminating the "rotten egg" smell, I suspect this might be a well. The smell you detected is actually hydrogen sulfide gas, which is a waste byproduct of sulfur-digesting bacteria. The bacteria derive their energy from processing naturally occurring sulfates in an anaerobic environment. The byproduct from digestion is the hydrogen sulfide gas, the "rotten egg" smell. In the case of the well there near Lower Mill, I think the boring passes through a layer of ironstone--iron-bearing sandstone--which releases sulfates into the water. The sufur-reducing bacteria then continually processes the sulfates and release the smelly gas.

Please let me know if this sounds like a plausible explanation or whether you have additional observations that I am currently unaware of.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
thanks for your observations and thoughts Jerseyman. I believe the well theory seems the most likely. The pit is approx. 3' across eitherway and very round which seems within the size range of a well. Interestingly, when we first came upon it, it immeditely associated the smell with old bacteria infested mud that has been upset, which I know is the result of gasses released by bacteria in an anearobic environment. Bob and Scott immeditely said Sulfur, as I suppose they are, for some reason, more familar with than I.

I wasn't sure how the canal leading to the pit was connected, but it has occured to me that the canal might just be the result of two land bridges next to each other, producing the illusion of a designed canal.

One other question though, is it typical to have built a well within less than 25 yards of a constant water source (bisphams mill branch)?

Jeff

thanks for your observations and thoughts Jerseyman. I believe the well theory seems the most likely. The pit is approx. 3' across eitherway and very round which seems within the size range of a well. Interestingly, when we first came upon it, it immeditely associated the smell with old bacteria infested mud that has been upset, which I know is the result of gasses released by bacteria in an anearobic environment. Bob and Scott immeditely said Sulfur, as I suppose they are, for some reason, more familar with than I.

I wasn't sure how the canal leading to the pit was connected, but it has occured to me that the canal might just be the result of two land bridges next to each other, producing the illusion of a designed canal.

One other question though, is it typical to have built a well within less than 25 yards of a constant water source (bisphams mill branch)?

Jeff

Jeff:

If the well possessed any Artesian qualities, then the watercourse leading to it likely served as an outlet for any water moving up under pressure from the depths of the well. Otherwise, the well could conceivably flood its immediate surroundings. All of this is conjecture and we may never obtain conclusive information--but it is enjoyable to mull this site over and discuss it!! Why or why not dig a well 150' from the millstream? I have not a clue!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Yes, if it was Artesian I guess a run off would be in order. One guess on it's close proximity to the Bisphams mill branch may lie in the hardships in digging the well further away from the stream...there is a very dramatic elevation almost immeditely east (away from the stream) of the well.

Jeff

Yes, if it was Artesian I guess a run off would be in order. One guess on it's close proximity to the Bisphams mill branch may lie in the hardships in digging the well further away from the stream...there is a very dramatic elevation almost immeditely east (away from the stream) of the well.

Jeff

Jeff:

I think you've just nailed the reason why someone dug the well so close to the stream. I did not know the topography out there, but by placing the well where they did, the folks who dug the well avoided a whole lot of extra digging to gain a quality water supply! Over time, the Artesian qualities in the well would diminish and the well would return to a state of standing water.

Best regards,
Jerseyman